RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

The Flower, Nature Macro and Garden Photography Thread! (Caroline Jensen)

CarolineJensen

Beautiful photos. I am finally getting around to setting up custom menus for my a7riii. Ive got a separate settings for wildlife and astro and wanted to set up one for macro. What settings would you recommend?

I was thinking aperture priority, steady shot on, and leaving ISO on auto. What focus area would you select? Is there anything else you would recommend? Thanks

I usually try and shoot manual with manual ISO. Macro can really fool the sensor! I find aperture priority and auto Iso tend to shoot the ISO higher than necessary. Steady shot is a must! I like to use either wide focus (for times when things are moving and I just want something to be in focus) and flexible spot small for finer work. 

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, alpha-jessica-a said:

I like the first one myself! Seeing those little fuzzy bits of the flower makes me want to touch them to see how they would feel. 

I agree with Jessica! The first one is so textural and vibrant that I'm more drawn to it. 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2023 at 5:31 PM, Sheepdog76 said:

Great pix, love your style.  I tend to go macro (to justify the lens) out of habit and personal choice, but I am working on different compositions…

1782iD09152459DC9B697.thumb.jpg.7f19a28e9fc6fa36e55641ea9c03b7ba.jpg1784i69DF122F036947AD.thumb.jpg.6639240093c73aa3572657adf245716b.jpg1783i928BC2218BE66832.thumb.jpg.c0a41efb1bf20c7798dbbc51a69f04b5.jpg1781i7FF8854FBDB084B3.thumb.jpg.d5b66726cd0027b41332135fe0df632a.jpg

I love the color combo and insane detail of that last shot. They are all lovely!

• Like 2

On 7/17/2023 at 7:59 AM, thesaltedimage said:

Yes to all the flowers! 

I love seeing how everyone photographs florals. Here are s few of my favorites from my flowerbeds this summer.   

Could contain: Dahlia, Flower, Plant, Flower Arrangement, Flower Bouquet, Petal, Art

Could contain: Flower, Flower Arrangement, Plant, Flower Bouquet, Art, Floral Design, Graphics, Pattern, Rose, Petal

Could contain: Flower, Flower Arrangement, Plant, Flower Bouquet, Rose, Petal, Art, Carnation

Could contain: Flower, Flower Arrangement, Plant, Rose, Flower Bouquet, Petal, Art, Floral Design, Graphics, Pattern

Could contain: Flower, Flower Arrangement, Flower Bouquet, Plant, Petal, Dahlia, Geranium, Rose

wow! this is beautiful! was this done with a studio setup? what kind of lighting did you use?

4 hours ago, bmcdonough said:

@LensBrew this is pretty great for what sounds like one of your first attempts! I found being comfortable around bees to take a TON of practice!! What gear did you use? 

I can never be comfortable around them. That buzzing sound triggers my flight-or-fight system.

The gear I used were the A7RIV with 90mm G macro lens.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:14 PM, TrekRover said:

wow! this is beautiful! was this done with a studio setup? what kind of lighting did you use?

Yes, it was. I love creating my own light. 🙂 I used a Flashpoint Streaklight 360 with either a APollo Orb or a small diffused beauty dish, I hop between those two modifiers quite a bit.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2023 at 7:00 AM, thesaltedimage said:

Yes, it was. I love creating my own light. 🙂 I used a Flashpoint Streaklight 360 with either a APollo Orb or a small diffused beauty dish, I hop between those two modifiers quite a bit.

Thank you for sharing! I've never used lights or diffusers before! So interesting to see how the lighting difference makes such a huge impact!