RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Why did you go Sony?

Travis

My first SONY Alpha was the SONY A700.  Yes an A Mount APSC SONY Alpha.   My work was in the Government and we shot Nikon, but I was now allowed to bring the cameras home.   So, I shot with a pair Minolta Maxxum 9's in my side portrait work.   The Minolta Pro glass was as sharp and crisp as the Nikon Nikkors, but the Auto Focus was twice as fast as Nikon.

I think this is why SONY's acquisition of Minolta's camera division open SONY to the professional Digital Still Camera Market..

• 4 weeks later...

I was a Canon user and was about to travel to Jordan with National Geographic. I was told that the carry in had to weigh less than 19lbs. My carry on was 32lbs. My friend a Sony user told me that Sony was have the weight. So three days before I left, I sold my Canon System and Switched to Sony.

My new system weighed 19lbs. A photo from Jordan

Could contain: Advertisement, Poster, Face, Head, Person, Photography, Portrait, Adult, Male, Man

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My first Sony was the a5100. My motivation was that there were adapters available for my legacy Minolta MC/MD lenses so I could use them on an "E" mount camera. The lenses were siting in an old gadget bag not being used and I knew they had some beautiful images left in them. I eventually moved to the A7R, then then A7RII and now mostly the A7RIV. The adapters and those Minolta primes are still in use.

My Minolta 16MM F2.8 Fisheye, now well over 50 years old is my favorite in old, large classical structures such as churches and synagogues. The barrel distortion renders beautiful images. My Minolta 50mm macro also so a lot of initial use, although I now tend to use the Sony 90mm for close ups.

Here's an image of the Szeged Synagogue, Hungary, hand held 3 bracketed exposures HDR using the Minolta 16mm and the Sony A7R.

Could contain: Architecture, Building, Altar, Church, Prayer, Photography, Apse, Indoors

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was a previous Minolta user (Yes, that long ago ...). Switched to Nikon for a while until Sony came out with their mirrorless camera bodies. Came to Sony with the A7Rii, then the Riii, now the Rv. Love the lenses!

Edited by alpha-jessica-a
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sony 6400 was my first camera, I choose it 'cause I'm an engineer and I've search a lot about sensors, sensor manufacturing process, ecosysem. customer support, and community, I can say that Sony killed it! 
I got the camera for online teaching t eh beginning. I was interested in photography but it was the same interest everyone has. Then it happend... I just discover that this is a path for me, it still a side hustle sometimes, but is a thing I want to do. 
I'm lucky enough to have the chance to get the 7RV and GMs, but this is nothing without the inspiration of the community. Still in the process of getting better tho.

• Like 1

Because My First Camera was a Panasonic and I had the G7 and Loved it soo much that I bought the G85 and Had learned about M4/3 and how Hard it was to get Lens here in Alaska but it was Mostly the Auto Focus that made it hard for me to Do Videos as it wouldn't Focus on what I needed it too unless I tapped on the screen a few times. That's when I went too Sony and it was the Sony - Cyber-shot DSC-HX80. After that I bought the Sony A6400 and the ZV-1 had those for a Few Years and then traded those in for my Now Current FX30 which I don't plan on selling ever. I love this Camera and it's exactly what I want in a Camera. Video Focused and Photo Secondary.