RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Critique my photography.

faysal9
Go to solution Solved by MattK,

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The colors are so amazing here...really gorgeous. I tend to love a strong centered composition, but I feel like the tractor is leaning a bit. I would bring the right side of the frame up a smidge so the back of the tractor is perfectly parallel with the bottom of the frame. The other thing I would do is up the contrast ever so slightly on the tractor itself. The luminance values of your image are similar across the board, so the tractor gets lost a little bit. I would use a brush in your editing program to paint on some contrast and maybe a touch of sharpening to the tractor. That will visually draw the eye right to it without seeming obvious. It is easy for the amazing autumn colors to steal the scene! 

• Solution

Hi. Like the others I really like the colors here. Has a very soft pastel look to it. Great job there. Also great job on composition. Not that I look for them while shooting, but after the fact I find that triangles are a great hook. The more the better (see example below). They tend to really bring your eyes in to the photo and point to things. Honestly I like the centered look with the small area of sky. But I also like it cropped and having the tractor toward one side or the other. Both work and both are strong. After that it just becomes about personal taste. 

590iEB51593B85505E4C.thumb.jpg.6bdcb35e87ab6d4b5175a450e020d1c6.jpg589iD1690C4F82CBC202.thumb.jpg.43afb0286a7e1c726146db8e2a16b3ef.jpg

I tend to look to crop what doesn’t add to the image. 

Here you have two main ideas: the work of man, and it’s balance with nature via color and texture. 

The machine and the man and the dust kicked up deserve more attention. The density of the shrubbery doesn’t. And the sky, wow! Needs to be a bigger part of the finished framing!

607i22125A4A082ADB9D.jpg.da8b9d39e6edbcd7f1eed2a577fdee84.jpg  

Thank you very much for your responses, everyone.

I used to run this critique thread on a photography site a long time ago, and it really helped me develop.

I'm amazed to see such a positive response here.

So let us continue.

Here's the next image:

608i90BA433546C2826A.thumb.jpg.7e5d0dbcf802ba6445d1340faf860db4.jpg

I think this image is gorgeous and excellently processed. It could be made stronger by cropping some of the bottom and burning down the dead grass/foliage alongside the road. 

I did this in PS and used the burn tool at 30% and built-up the burn incrementally. I also burned just to bottom portion of the road to stop the viewer's eye from exiting the frame and to help move it back up the the center of interest which is the tractor encapsulated by this beautiful fall foliage. 

This image looks like a painting - so well done!

Would have loved to have seen a frame of you from either a sitting position or lying down to give more emphasis to the road drawing your viewer's eye right towards the tractor - but that is neither here nor there - just something to think ab out the next time out... and hey... stay safe 🙂

610i910AA5B7EA66B662.jpg.9d0d1cc58ebb193c8f3dd30e964a8225.jpg

Thank you very much for your responses, everyone.

I used to run this critique thread on a photography site a long time ago, and it really helped me develop.
I'm amazed to see such a positive response here.
So let us continue.
Here's the next image:

608i90BA433546C2826A.thumb.jpg.851618ebf4fda5c627d1ed5ebba7b5a5.jpg

I think this image needs two things done in post to strengthen it.

First, I burned down everything around this cool snaking road to draw the viewer's eye to it. Especially that mountain in the background - it kept fighting my eye and drawing if off the road. I do this by using the lasso tool in PS and drawing around areas I wish to darken. Once an area is selected, I feather (for this small jpeg 100 points) then us the TAT in Curves dialog box and darken to taste. Now my eye wants to lock on the road and not be drawn to everything around it.

Second, I am not a fan of big Copyrights - especially in the center of the image. Remember, your copyright if another visual element in the scene and because it is the brightest part of this scene, the eye gets drawn to it and away from the road. Always remember - the human eye will gravitate to the brightest element in the scene. Agree or disagree - in the end - it's your call.

Beautiful soft colors. As far as the tractor position, normally i don't place my subject in the center, but rules are made to be broken and sometimes the center works. It is really a matter of personal taste which image is better. It's your photo, pick what you like