RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Moving to Sony

kbsiegel

I have shot with Canon, Pentax, Canon, Nikon, and Canon again since the early 80s.  I am an advanced hobbyist, and every move I made was productive, but I always went back to Canon.  I have been considering moving to Sony for years now ... literally for years.  Sony continuously promises to treat me better than Canon.  But it is tough to let go of something that is so familiar, even if I know it is good for me.  I am like a beaten spouse.  Yet the announcement of the A7rV makes it look like the time has come to move on.  I am planning to sell my Canon 6d and numerous L glass lenses to move into the Sony ecosystem.   I should probably find a support group, if anyone can recommend one.  I refuse to give up my single malt, however.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved over after nearly 17 years with canon! Truly have been blown away by the quality and efficiency of the Sony system! 
it's been a learning curve but so far well worth it 😊

Thanks, Heather.  It's the promise of quality that is pulling me to Sony.  The AI on the upcoming A7rV looks absolutely futuristic!  I may have to sell a kidney to get one, but it appears that it may be worth it. 

I almost wish I was a working pro so that I could justify the cost… lol. I started with Nikon gear and made the investments in glass and had a lot of fun as a hobbyist. Then I got tired of carrying 50+ lbs of gear all over the world and made the switch to 4/3rds and had a pretty substantial collection of glass. Then Sony, shooting with an a9 and an a7r iv. Have a pretty decent collection of Sony glass and am enjoying the Sony world. It would take a lot to get me to switch these days.  As a hobbyist I’ve joined a few clubs and a, working through challenges that stretch my skills. Lots of fun. 

I think you found your group. This is a great place to come to for support and questions. 

As for the camera, I'm sure you know that 100% any camera can take an amazing photo if you put the right person behind it and the right subject in front of it. However, I will say as some that switched 7 years ago, I've never regretted it. Sony pulled ahead and, to me, continues to stay ahead in every way. Both in support, community, gear, tech, etc... 

Good luck and always feel free to swing by here and ask questions along the way. Lots of us here happy to help 🙂

I almost wish I was a working pro so that I could justify the cost… lol. I started with Nikon gear and made the investments in glass and had a lot of fun as a hobbyist. Then I got tired of carrying 50+ lbs of gear all over the world and made the switch to 4/3rds and had a pretty substantial collection of glass. Then Sony, shooting with an a9 and an a7r iv. Have a pretty decent collection of Sony glass and am enjoying the Sony world. It would take a lot to get me to switch these days.  As a hobbyist I’ve joined a few clubs and a, working through challenges that stretch my skills. Lots of fun. 

"I almost wish I was a working pro so that I could justify the cost"
Be careful what you wish for... I was watching the news the other morning and "pro photographer" was listed as one of the top 5 worst jobs. As a hobbyist you probably stand a better chance at affording the gear you want, than many working full time pros. Just because it's a business expense doesn't make it free 🙂

Be careful what you wish for... I was watching the news the other morning and "pro photographer" was listed as one of the top 5 worst jobs. As a hobbyist you probably stand a better chance at affording the gear you want, than many working full time pros. Just because it's a business expense doesn't make it free 🙂

Well, yeah, there is that. Lol. Maybe I shoulda said, “man this is an expensive hobby!” At the end of the day, I enjoy what I do with a camera and am very pleased with the art that comes out of my button pushing finger. 😀

Makes a lot of sense MattK. The more I did into this as a hobby, I see how hard photographers work. Considering the golden hour for landscapes, and meeting peoples schedules, it's hard to imagine. Keeping up on photos of our 3 kids keeps me pretty busy.

I was 19 years a Canon shooter and love Sony, especially now with all the cameras and lenses available. I'm shooting a pre-production model of the a7RV right now and I am really impressed for both stills as well as video. It might be worth renting a camera and two lenses first before jumping in. Tons of people do it this way. Either way, moving to Sony involves entering a family, not just switching out a bunch of glass and cameras.

I started with Pentax and then shot Canon for 28 years. I loved the gear and CPS always treated me well.

But when I left my newspaper staff job earlier this year and had to turn in my company gear, I found myself at a crossroads. I tried both the Canon R3 and the Sony A1 and decided for now Sony has the better camera. Pricing was also more favorable and more importantly availability was better (Sony 400/2.8 within a week vs. being on a waiting list for the Canon RF 400/2.8).

If the R1 was already out who knows if I would have switched or stayed with Canon. If history is any lesson I do think when Canon finally releases the R1 it is going to give the A1 a run for its money though.

It is always good to have competition and keep the manufacturers innovating.