RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Ideas for winter photography

EppuNiemi

Hi everyone! 

Since we are getting really close to the winter season I would like to collect some new ideas for winter photography. I´ll try and use the best ideas here and share the results with you guys so let the ideas flow!

Some background about me and my photography:

I´m a full time photographer and I´m based in Eastern Finland. We get around 60-70cm of snow and the temperatures drop down to -20 Celsius during wintertime. We also have only around 5hours of daylight during winter and a lot of beautiful nature.  Here´s few shots from the past winters I have taken.

912iC3473E9EE7D9C29D.thumb.jpg.344620fa1b9cfbe57a03a6a739ac41c1.jpg

911i00D273407C6F9B50.thumb.jpg.7316e1b86a697226341b1620881cf9f7.jpg

915i48BE97F2ABB22160.thumb.jpg.8b0a82425ab3cdda1c69e277142f140a.jpg

913i7F5C9FFA41FCA7A1.thumb.jpg.3c3b9d3172395f688efd02be58264f86.jpg

914i527C6317C08BE8DC.thumb.jpg.a2e44eafccc898ea02c4807e73f81178.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am always interested in how you all manage with so little light! I embrace candle light photography when it is dark and freezing here. We have very long winters and they are super cold, so I am always looking for ideas! You have a lot of snow, which is beautiful. It actually gets so cold here that it can't snow sometimes (-40F +). Snow is so wonderful for minimalistic images too. Please, keep sharing! 

Love the photos, is the blue cast an artistic effect that you intended?

As far as what to shoot, I like the white "dreamy" type of photos like your second and third photos. I love seeing subjects in contrast to their surroundings.

I am not an expert of winter photography by any means, as I live in the Sonoran Desert, however, I have always liked landscapes with subjects over just landscapes. 🙂

I am always interested in how you all manage with so little light! I embrace candle light photography when it is dark and freezing here. We have very long winters and they are super cold, so I am always looking for ideas! You have a lot of snow, which is beautiful. It actually gets so cold here that it can't snow sometimes (-40F +). Snow is so wonderful for minimalistic images too. Please, keep sharing! 

Managing with low light can really be tough but it also forces us to appreciate even the small amounts of light we get! That´s freezing cold! Where are you based if I may ask? We only get around -35°C but usually its not quite that cold. Thank you for the compliments!

Love the photos, is the blue cast an artistic effect that you intended?

As far as what to shoot, I like the white "dreamy" type of photos like your second and third photos. I love seeing subjects in contrast to their surroundings.

I am not an expert of winter photography by any means, as I live in the Sonoran Desert, however, I have always liked landscapes with subjects over just landscapes. 🙂

Thank you so much! Yes the blue cast is partially a artistic effect but also something which is quite natural.

I also enjoy landscapes more than empty landscapes. The Sonoran Desert must be quite different than snowy Finland! 😁 Thanks for the feedback and ideas!