RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

More Cameras or LESS Gear?

sidneydiongzon

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too bring too much gear. Often I will pack a lens or two and never use them on the whole trip. However, I would feel really bad if the opportunity arose to use one and didn't have a particular lens, which has happened before too! After all what's an extra pound or two of glass? It will just enhance your daily workout! Haha! So bring it and maybe leave the extra lens in the car, at least it would be mostly accessible if needed. Good luck with your work!

I often find myself lugging around a ton of gear and then end up not taking the time to switch lenses or whatnot. I think I'm leaning towards more of a lean and mean kit - keeps me light on my feet and I like the creative challenge of trying to come up with new and interesting shots with limited gear. But ultimately, it probably depends on what you're shooting that day. What are you primarily shooting? What gear do you find yourself using most?

I carry way to much. I feel like sometimes it takes away from what it is I'm trying to experience...

I think we need to focus more on one kit that can get us 70% of the shots we need, instead of trying to make sure every single basis is covered when we are out trying to just capture the moment or the experience. interesting topic 

I used to find myself jealous of those people with a big gear bag and all of those "what's in my bag" photos with all of that gear. Now I find myself not wanting to ever bring more than one camera and one lens. I'm not a pro shooter, don't have clients, so I don't need a backup. So for me, less is definitely more. For most wildlife outings I go on I bring my a1 and 200-600mm lens and that does perfect. Sometimes I'll throw in the super light 24-105mm too. 

I Vlog a ton while riding my motorcycle so I have been working on a really tiny kit that works well for me:

a7C body, 11mm f/1.8 (for when I'm vlogging without a tripod and just old the camera pointed at me), 24mm f/2.8G (for just wider shots using ff, and the 40mm f/2.5G lens for when I need a more "standard" look.  These three lenses are all tiny and lightweight and everything fits in a small fanny pack.  Then I use the DJI mini-2 drone and I carry  3 batts for that and the whole drone kit with the controller fits into a super small zippered pouch.  Last, I use the Sony X3000 action Cam on my helmet.

I know where you're coming from as someone who feels like they always need to pack everything. currently, my smallest EDC is a camera bag from DB journey with a medium camera insert which gives enough room for a light jacket. Then my sony A1, 70-200 2.8 mk2, 50mm 1.8, and then either the 14mm GM, or the 35mm GM depending on how I'm feeling, and then a filter case with various sized variable ND filters, Polarizers, and a lens wipe. I still miss having some of the other stuff I have in my bigger bag sometimes but I found in 90% of the stuff I find to shoot day to day I can cover it with just this.   

Tony said it best. I too carry gear based on the work I have to do.

Sports I typically have 2 bodies and 3 lenses: A7Riv, A9ii, 35mm f/1.4 GM, 70-200mm f/2.8GM II, 100-400mm

For portraits, 2 bodies and 2 lenses: A7Riv, A9ii, 35mm f/1.4 GM, 135mm f/1.8 GM

While on no-assignment days, it's one body one lens: A7Riv, 24-105mm f/4 G