RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Transition to landscape photography full-time

Strawbrrytravls

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't really done any transitioning between genres, I prefer to be an all rounder than stick to few ones. But starting a new genre will always be the same. At the current time of technological advances, there are some amazing youtube channels you could follow. An Alpha Collective member that I enjoy his work and taking to is Nate Luebbe. He make some amazing, inspirational work. Another is Matt Kloskowski, when he's not chasing wild animals, and Drew Geraci. I could fill the entire forum with names, but inspiration photographers' work is what you need to see, analyze and use to make your personal shot list. I also recommend following and looking at images from National Geographic. 

You already have your feet wet and understand a lot about photography from the genres you shot, you only need inspirations and assignments to get you going.

• 4 weeks later...

I think building your portfolio is the best start. Showing off your skills in landscape photography will certainly help attract clients and partners. A mentor of mine told me I needed to become a sort of "go-to" person for the niche I wanted to shoot in, that takes a lot of time but it gave me a goal to work towards. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't really done any transitioning between genres, I prefer to be an all rounder than stick to few ones. But starting a new genre will always be the same. At the current time of technological advances, there are some amazing youtube channels you could follow. An Alpha Collective member that I enjoy his work and taking to is Nate Luebbe. He make some amazing, inspirational work. Another is Matt Kloskowski, when he's not chasing wild animals, and Drew Geraci. I could fill the entire forum with names, but inspiration photographers' work is what you need to see, analyze and use to make your personal shot list. I also recommend following and looking at images from National Geographic. 

You already have your feet wet and understand a lot about photography from the genres you shot, you only need inspirations and assignments to get you going.

Hey LensBrew,

Thank you for sharing those photographer's with me! I love landscape photography and feel crazy inspired when I'm in beautiful settings. What I was trying to ask in my post is if there are any who actually make a living doing landscape photography, as I have found this genre to be more challenging in that area 🙂

• Like 1

I think building your portfolio is the best start. Showing off your skills in landscape photography will certainly help attract clients and partners. A mentor of mine told me I needed to become a sort of "go-to" person for the niche I wanted to shoot in, that takes a lot of time but it gave me a goal to work towards. 

Hi bmcdonough, 

that definitely makes sense, and how are you getting your porfolio in front of your ideal costumer? 

Are you planning on selling your images? I always wonder what the income stream is for landscape photographers. I fear sharing too much on social as I wonder if people just take and upsize the images. 

that's such a valid point. I'm not sure what the quality would be from other's using a socially shared image, but I do see people put little watermarks on the ones they put to social. I have sold my images through sites that print and ship them, but it was mostly to friends and family. I could not figure out how to scale it 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I'm a little late to this one but I see you're still responding to ideas so here goes. 
I think the first thing I'd look for in a transition is to find some one who makes a living doing what you want to do and try to figure out what they do. Personally, I don't know anyone that does landscape photography professionally that doesn't either A) Teach and/or B) Sell photos or some combo in between. There's such an abundance of photography out there today, that it's tough to make a living selling your photos. 
I would say to post them online more and not worry too much about people stealing or watermarking. Of course you don't want to give them away for free but always remember that if some one wants your photo for free, they will get it. And those that do that aren't your customer to begin with so you're not losing income. 
But I guess you need to define what a "full time landscape photographer" means and where the money comes from as a first step. Hope that helps! 🙂

• Like 1

MattK said, "I don't know anyone that does landscape photography professionally that doesn't either A) Teach and/or B) Sell photos or some combo in between. There's such an abundance of photography out there today, that it's tough to make a living selling your photos. "  

He is absolutely right.  It's a rare thing that landscape photog can make a living only through shooting and selling prints.  Don Smith is as close as I know of in terms of a person that sells a lot of their work, but I also know that his workshops are his primary income more so than his print sales...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...