RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Full spectrum mod

brent_newman

Greetings!

I'm weighing on deciding on getting a a7iii or a7iv modded to Visible + H-Alpha filter, a 420nm to 1200nm filter, or go for the gold for full spectrum. Ideally, I want capture more reds for astrophotography and IR for b&w landscapes. Is there a compelling reason why I should not go with full spectrum to achieve both targets? My understanding is that WB correction is straightforward in any of the options. So is there anything else I should consider when making this decision?

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe you would lose anything going for the full spectrum. But you need to check that the sensor can capture the range you desire. I know some sensors are not full spectrum, which makes the full mod a waste of money. If your's is full sensor, then I would go for full spectrum. Just don't forget to buy filters for shooting normal when you need it.

• 1 month later...

I don't believe you would lose anything going for the full spectrum. But you need to check that the sensor can capture the range you desire. I know some sensors are not full spectrum, which makes the full mod a waste of money. If your's is full sensor, then I would go for full spectrum. Just don't forget to buy filters for shooting normal when you need it.

My apologies for the delayed response. I thought that all full frame alpha sensors are full spectrum? I am aware that some conversions are not advised as a few bodies can leak IR on to the sensor. 

My apologies for the delayed response. I thought that all full frame alpha sensors are full spectrum? I am aware that some conversions are not advised as a few bodies can leak IR on to the sensor. 

I haven't checked all the models, except the ones I personally own. I only made a safe assumption and always advise to check before doing anything.

Leaks would happen on older sensors, but the new ones are more robust. But I suggest to check with the company you would like to have modify your cameras. Companies differ with their final results and quality.

I haven't checked all the models, except the ones I personally own. I only made a safe assumption and always advise to check before doing anything.

Leaks would happen on older sensors, but the new ones are more robust. But I suggest to check with the company you would like to have modify your cameras. Companies differ with their final results and quality.

When I first looked into this, I noticed that Spencer Camera advised against modding my A7RII as it has a known IR leak. If this wasn't not the case, I definitely would have made the conversion by now, but this has given me the opportunity to think more about what my intentions are and what body would be best.

Hey Brent, I had two cameras modified - one for full color and another for 720nm. I use the latter all the time as I like the rich B&W look. I used a filter but shutter speed is too slow to stop foliage.

Hi Don,

720nm bnw images are beautiful and I would love your input on capturing them using a full spectrum mod with a 720nm filter! Do you think this setup would work well for landscapes?  

When I first looked into this, I noticed that Spencer Camera advised against modding my A7RII as it has a known IR leak. If this wasn't not the case, I definitely would have made the conversion by now, but this has given me the opportunity to think more about what my intentions are and what body would be best.

Spencer's Camera are very good and reliable. I never thought of modifying a high res sensor. If I modified a camera it would be the A7Siii, specifically for astro. Spencer's even have them in stock new.

Personally I don't mind loosing the resolution for the low light (energy) capability.