RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

How did photography make an impact on your life?

TrekRover

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would take me too long to explain how I got into photography but it has been my career for most of my adult life. I write this on a break from co-leading 2 tours in Iceland. Could not think of a better way to have made a living and feel very blessed. My cameras have led me to incredible places and have met awesome people. Follow your passion and be willing to have a strong desire to succeed.

My life in photography started at the age of ten in the boiler room of a small parochial grade school. My science teacher offered to select students, most of whom were introverted, shy, the opportunity to gather on Saturday mornings to learn the chemistry of black and white photography. His hope was to open up the creative abilities of a group of quiet kids and see how they would respond. I remember the first time holding up a roll of developed film, that first print and I was hooked. Since then it has been my best friend in tough times, and continues today to help provide me financial support doing what has become a passion.

My life in photography started at the age of ten in the boiler room of a small parochial grade school. My science teacher offered to select students, most of whom were introverted, shy, the opportunity to gather on Saturday mornings to learn the chemistry of black and white photography. His hope was to open up the creative abilities of a group of quiet kids and see how they would respond. I remember the first time holding up a roll of developed film, that first print and I was hooked. Since then it has been my best friend in tough times, and continues today to help provide me financial support doing what has become a passion.

Thanks for sharing JD! I can only imagine what that must have felt like holding up something you captured and see it developed on a physical medium for the first time!

I would say photography didn't really come into my life until the early 2000's. As a child growing up I was able to go on many trips and vacations across the US, but my parents were not big into photography so I had almost zero pictures of any of my childhood trips. 

Skip to the early 2000's when digital photography was getting more mainstream and I was starting my own family. Because of the ease of digital I took photos of everything we did, but the quality was poor. I did this for quite a few years. Then cell phone cameras came around and they were even more convenient, although still not very good at the time. 

My wife is a huge Frank Lloyd Wright fan and we finally had a trip planned to go to Fallingwater. Even paid for the better tickets to be able to do photography inside. So my wife said I had to get a better camera. I wanted something small and compact and mirrorless was just coming on the scene so got a Sony NEX-6 with kit lens and zoom lens.  So I took that everywhere for years until I finally moved up to the A7III a few years ago and now on to the A7RV.

For 10 years now I have picked one major trip we do a year and created a 35ish page hardcover book on Shutterfly to commemorate the trip. All the kids get their own book so when they are older they will have all these fond memories of childhood trips that I missed out on because my family didn't fuss or concern themselves with cameras.

Of course family trips are now not my only use for a camera, but that is the reason for my obsession 🙂

It saves my life, from my lowest and darkest moments. It helps me became and better person and helps me find peace of mind. From a photographer at a small D3 college and making it to D1, countless frames with my closest friends, wedding, dance shows, theater, music and so much more. And now, finding love, creating countless memories more, and a new family of skateboarders that I love in Venice Beach. There are so much more that I want to capture, because I'm curious about life, about people, places and the stories behind those frames. Whenever I look through that viewfinder, it's another world to explore. 

I was born and raised in Namibia, Southwest Africa. I relocated to the US in 2010 but still go home to see my family. My father gave me a Minolta 35mm when I was 12.  I have never stopped and did Equestrian and Moto Sport for years. I'm not a people person but my camera made me feel (and still does) like I can do anything!  I now focus on Conservation based work. It is the little things that nobody sees that are so important to biodiversity and us as humans, that I love to share with others. Macro Photography came later in my life and I continue to be in awe of nature every time I go out to photograph.  I have only had Sony after my Minolta and have never been interested in anything else. My camera is not just the window to my soul, but natures as well, to create empathy, compassion and educate 🙂  My father passed away unexpectedly 5 years ago and I love to continue with this passion when he gave me my first camera.

My dad bought a Pentax K-1000 for himself when I was in high school back in the 80s. He never used it but I picked it up, fell in love with photography, and have never stopped shooting. It's really the most amazing craft and profession anyone could ever have and it's worth pausing to consider how lucky we all are to be photographers.