RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

What Features Would You Like To See Added To Future Sony Cameras?

DonSmith

I have been in Iceland for the past 19 days working with the new Sony a7RV photographing landscapes, auroras, waves and waterfalls. What an awesome camera! Sony added two huge features that I love - Focus Bracketing and a Bulb Mode that I can set without the need of a cable release. What new features would you like to see Sony add in future cameras? My wish list has been met but would love to hear yours.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider the A7R5 to be a very complete product lacking only ONE feature that would have of course elevated it beyond the A1 which no question Sony had NO desire to do. Obviously if it had a Stacked BSI sensor it would be near ultimate for ALL photographic exploits. I get it why they left that off. It leaves room to take the A1 to heights nobody else has. Like put an AI chip in it and rid it of any of it's weaknesses. THEN and only THEN will it be truly worth $6500.00. The A7R5 ends up a more sensibly prices option. 

The A7R V is an amazing camera.  There are a couple tweaks that would be nice, especially for it's video production.

1) I use manual focus lenses to shoot videos, and often want to punch in to check focus.  Unfortunately all the buttons make a slight clicking noise when pressed that can be picked up through my mic.  So I would love if, while in video mode, with manual lenses, half pressing the shutter button would zoom in to check focus.

2) Built in GPS...If my watch can have it, my camera should be able to have it.  Photo mechanic automatically ingests my location so this is more useful now.

3) The Audio levels indicator shouldn't all be green, when I get close to peaking it needs to turn orange, and red when peaking.  All other Sony cameras do this, I wonder why they removed that simple color code on the rV.

4) The tally light should be hidden under the eyepiece on the rear screen.  Add it somewhere else so that when the rear screen is folded up I can still look down and see it.

I'd like to see in camera compiling of time lapses into a high res video file. Focus stacking brought to the A1. illuminated buttons for night shooting. 

I understand wanting bot.  Don't think I would use either (maybe time lapse). I want access to RAW files for focus stack and not a JPEG. Good to share these ideas.

The A7R V is an amazing camera.  There are a couple tweaks that would be nice, especially for it's video production.

1) I use manual focus lenses to shoot videos, and often want to punch in to check focus.  Unfortunately all the buttons make a slight clicking noise when pressed that can be picked up through my mic.  So I would love if, while in video mode, with manual lenses, half pressing the shutter button would zoom in to check focus.

2) Built in GPS...If my watch can have it, my camera should be able to have it.  Photo mechanic automatically ingests my location so this is more useful now.

3) The Audio levels indicator shouldn't all be green, when I get close to peaking it needs to turn orange, and red when peaking.  All other Sony cameras do this, I wonder why they removed that simple color code on the rV.

4) The tally light should be hidden under the eyepiece on the rear screen.  Add it somewhere else so that when the rear screen is folded up I can still look down and see it.

All great ideas - thanks for sharing. Let's hope Sony is monitoring this thread.

How would they do that LensBreew? A sensor built into the shutter? Interesting concept.

I believe there would be an internal memory (like a RAM) that will store and overwrite images when the shutter is half way depressed. If you fully depress the shutter it will add them into your SD card with the images after during the shooting, otherwise it will dump them and keep this "memory" clear for the next set of pre-shot images. I think there is another brand that has this already. 

I would like an intervalometer that goes past 60 seconds. I want to do flower time lapses, but need the camera to click every 30 minutes or so. I know I can do that with a proper attachment, but it would be nice to do it in camera. 

Would be nice - not sure if I would have a need for it with my type of photography but you never know...

I consider the A7R5 to be a very complete product lacking only ONE feature that would have of course elevated it beyond the A1 which no question Sony had NO desire to do. Obviously if it had a Stacked BSI sensor it would be near ultimate for ALL photographic exploits. I get it why they left that off. It leaves room to take the A1 to heights nobody else has. Like put an AI chip in it and rid it of any of it's weaknesses. THEN and only THEN will it be truly worth $6500.00. The A7R5 ends up a more sensibly prices option. 

We can all wish dcisive...

• 4 weeks later...