RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

What photography accessory can you not live without??

CarolineJensen

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is simlar to yours... It's a Crazy Creek chair.ย  I always have it in the back of my car on shoots.ย  It's great for sitting on grass or rock when getting low angles for portraits without getting my pants dirty.ย  I also un hook the two straps and lay on it when I need to for the same reasons.ย  I kneel a lot while shooting various assignments and my knees aren't what they used to be so the hard padding in the Crazy Creek chair really helps.

Mine is simlar to yours... It's a Crazy Creek chair.ย  I always have it in the back of my car on shoots.ย  It's great for sitting on grass or rock when getting low angles for portraits without getting my pants dirty.ย  I also un hook the two straps and lay on it when I need to for the same reasons.ย  I kneel a lot while shooting various assignments and my knees aren't what they used to be so the hard padding in the Crazy Creek chair really helps.

Ok, I totally need one of those!ย 

A fanny pack. I used to lose lens caps like crazy, but I started wearing a runners fanny pack while I'm doing a session and I haven't lost one in a while.ย 

Great tip.
I just replaced a lost lens cap and camera cap. Together with shipping those two pieces cost nearly $50 CDN from Sony.

Most valuable - my camera hip bag/holster plus shoulder sling

I'm a belt and suspenders kind of person.

I've found the only way I can carry my A7IV or A1 with a 70-200 GM II for my two-to-three hour daily walks, is a holster bag on a padded belt. If I carry the camera bag on my shoulder, or in a backpack, or carry the camera in my hands, my back gives me grief.ย 

The holster bag/belt is a now discontinued LowePro model. It's deep enough to (barely) fit the body and 70-200 with the lens hood in place. It's ready to shoot as soon as I pull it from the bag. I keep the camera in the bag as I hike around. The camera only comes out to shoot photos. This way, the camera is not exposed to the elements and is not vulnerable if I trip and tumble or brush up against something.

I also have a shoulder sling attached to the bottom of the camera (tripod mount). The sling is loose so there's no weight on my shoulder. Its only function is safety in case I lose my grip on the camera.

Today, the worst case happened. I had caught a fold in my rain jacket in the closing snap for the belt holster. Two kilometers in, I moved my arm and tugged at the rain jacket in just the wrong way. With that, the belt holster released.ย  The belt, holster and camera headed toward the ground, but the shoulder sling strap saved the camera leaving it dangling at my hip. Otherwise, the camera would have hit the ground, landing on the lens hood. Even in the bag, well, I wouldn't want to guess at the damage.

So, that's why the belt and suspenders (shoulder sling) approach and why I can't live without these two items (belt/bag and shoulder sling).