RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Whats your 1st Sony camera

Joey-Austin

My first ษ‘ was the 7RM3.ย  I was so impressed I immediately got another and switched entirely to Sony as my primary system.ย  For years I had constantly switched camera systems and often used multiple systems in parallel:ย  Canon (EF and RF), Fuji, mFT (both Lumix and Oly).ย  After my first shoot using Sony I felt like I had finally found exactly what I had been looking for.ย  Everything just worked.ย  I stuck with those ษ‘7RM3's longer than I had stayed with any single camera in years.ย  Only gave up the ษ‘7RM3 to upgrade to an ษ‘7RM4 and ษ‘9M2.

My first ษ‘ was the 7RM3.ย  I was so impressed I immediately got another and switched entirely to Sony as my primary system.ย  For years I had constantly switched camera systems and often used multiple systems in parallel:ย  Canon (EF and RF), Fuji, mFT (both Lumix and Oly).ย  After my first shoot using Sony I felt like I had finally found exactly what I had been looking for.ย  Everything just worked.ย  I stuck with those ษ‘7RM3's longer than I had stayed with any single camera in years.ย  Only gave up the ษ‘7RM3 to upgrade to an ษ‘7RM4 and ษ‘9M2.

That's really cool, when I heard something like your story always wonder if people sell all the lenses ans get Sony lenses or just get the adapter and keep using other brands lenses until they build a Sony lens collection?

My first Sony camera was the Cyber-Shot DSC-D770.ย  It was a whopping 1.5 MP and took a PCMCIA memory card or adapter for a purple Memory Stick. You could shoot up to 2fps and the max ISO was 400.ย ย 

To be honest I had to google this one, it looks like a fun camera back then, do you have any picture taken with it?

To be honest I had to google this one, it looks like a fun camera back then, do you have any picture taken with it?

Hmm, I'll have to take a look on some archived drives.ย  I was in college, so It was a bunch of nonsense. My actual photography classes were still being taught with film processing.ย 

Hello Austin,

Thanks for sharing your stories. My first Sony camera was purchased in 2012 too, the Sony Nex 5N was a very attractive camera at that time. But I couldn't afford to get it. My first Sony camera was a compact WX100. I was quite depressed at that time as a student studying overseas, and I was worrying about anything.. The price of the camera is about 3 days' part-time salary so I had to save up more money for the next few weeks later (because I was a full-time student, it only allows me to work on the weekends). I took the camera with me everywhere since there. I was very happy with its image quality and still keep many beautiful memories from it.ย 

Hello Austin,

Thanks for sharing your stories. My first Sony camera was purchased in 2012 too, the Sony Nex 5N was a very attractive camera at that time. But I couldn't afford to get it. My first Sony camera was a compact WX100. I was quite depressed at that time as a student studying overseas, and I was worrying about anything.. The price of the camera is about 3 days' part-time salary so I had to save up more money for the next few weeks later (because I was a full-time student, it only allows me to work on the weekends). I took the camera with me everywhere since there. I was very happy with its image quality and still keep many beautiful memories from it.ย 

Thank you for sharing your story

• 3 months later...

I bought a used A7R2 with a Tamron 28-200mm at Precision Camera in Austin, with some of the money I made doing the Census in 2020. I am seriously considering getting an A6600 with the original E PZ 16-50mm kit lens as a combination, video/vlogging/compact camera in the next few months.ย 

Edited by Grant Robertson
I keep spelling "lens" as "lense" for some stupid reason.

18 hours ago, Joey-Austin said:

if you don't need view finder it's a good choice

After decades of doing without a viewfinder, I will never buy a camera without one again. I carefully compared all the Sony e-mount cameras that are anywhere near my price range, and the a6600 is the best fit for me. I wish it had the side-flip screen (for recording myself) but the top-flip screen will do. I've been watching the prices of used a6600s and waiting for them to drop below $1,000. MPB is down to $999 now. But, of course, I've gotta fix my car now, so...

• 4 weeks later...