RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Adobe joins the AI game with Adobe Firefly. Where do we go from here?

CarolineJensen

This is a huge can of worms...what do you all think? I make a good chunk of change making AI things that are not photography related, but I want to make my photography stay relevant in this new world of digital creation.

How is Sony merging alongside these new developments? I'd love your thoughts and insights! 

My initial thoughts are these...AI cannot be personal. It cannot capture authentic and real moments, even if it tries to create simulations of such. A wedding, birth, or tender moments between people cannot be faked. Video of real moments cannot be faked.

My biggest concern is for fine art photographers (like me) who make things that are easily created with AI. How do I make images that fill the need and cause the impulse buy of a person who likes floral beauty? or people who make composites? I can see AI filling in so many gaps for composite images that very little photography will remain. As Adobe integrates this tech into their products, like Photoshop, I can see the lines blurring to the point of not knowing where  photography ends and imagination begins. 

Thoughts? 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photographers already composite and the less scrupulous ones will put it out as a single click - so in a sense, it is already happening. I can tell you that Getty Images will not accept AI-generated imagery. Where it goes from here is anyone's guess. I'm more concerned that all photographers are being ripped-off financially as this software is pulling from images on the web - yours and mine included. I don't recall signing away the rights to my images in order for AI to generate new images. Maybe a class-action lawsuit???

Photographers already composite and the less scrupulous ones will put it out as a single click - so in a sense, it is already happening. I can tell you that Getty Images will not accept AI-generated imagery. Where it goes from here is anyone's guess. I'm more concerned that all photographers are being ripped-off financially as this software is pulling from images on the web - yours and mine included. I don't recall signing away the rights to my images in order for AI to generate new images. Maybe a class-action lawsuit???

This is a really good point Don, AI need to learn from examining work and try to duplicate it, so without a huge archive of images it will not be able to create anything, and I don't think any photographer volunteering their work for free to develop a tool that can replace their work

Yes, this is the dark underbelly of it all. 

Adobe’s seems a little more graphic design in nature. Which I actually like. Now for my marketing emails, graphics, etc… I have something other than trying to use Adobe Stock and adding my own text, layouts etc… Will definitely be interesting to see where it goes but initially I’m liking Adobe’s version for type effects that would just be timely for me to create in Photoshop.