RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

What is Your Favorite Lens for Northern Lights Photography?

DonSmith

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I can't answer your question, I do have an additional question of my own for those with experience:

Q: I suspect the intensity of the auroras on any given night will have a significant influence on settings, however what range of exposure time and ISO (exposure compensation?) would be an effective starting range to experiment within? I plan on trying a couple times in the next month before it stays too bright too long to be possible with my 1.2/50 and 1.2/24.

While I can't answer your question, I do have an additional question of my own for those with experience:

Q: I suspect the intensity of the auroras on any given night will have a significant influence on settings, however what range of exposure time and ISO (exposure compensation?) would be an effective starting range to experiment within? I plan on trying a couple times in the next month before it stays too bright too long to be possible with my 1.2/50 and 1.2/24.

It completely depends on the luminosity value of the Aurora - they differ. A good overall starting point would be ISO 1600 wide open aperture (if lens is sharp enough). The time again will differ.