RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Question about DMF

AlphaBaruch
Go to solution Solved by AlphaBaruch,

I agree with Tony, losing continuous AF might be a deterrent to a lot of photographers. But DMF has its place. I usually use it for moon or landscape shots. It gives me the manual focus to fine tune my focus, but at the start it does a single autofocus to reduce my manual work to get there. Once at the ball park (in 1 ms) the manual focus ring is the next step.

Think of it as a manual focus with an automated starting focus point at where you want it.

• Like 1

• Solution

I agree with Tony, losing continuous AF might be a deterrent to a lot of photographers. But DMF has its place. I usually use it for moon or landscape shots. It gives me the manual focus to fine tune my focus, but at the start it does a single autofocus to reduce my manual work to get there. Once at the ball park (in 1 ms) the manual focus ring is the next step.

Think of it as a manual focus with an automated starting focus point at where you want it.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Check out Mark Galer's superb explanation of DMF .  I use his technique of combining a custom hold and custom button.  To me, the only disadvantage of DMF is the time it takes to get in to and back out of the mode.  Mark's method fixes that problem.  While pressing your assigned custom button (I use AEL), DMF along with multiple other optimized settings are activated while you manually focus.  Upon releasing your custom button, you immediately return back to whatever mode your were previously using. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...