RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

How Many of You Would Like to See Sony Make Tilt/Shift Lenses?

DonSmith

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, I'd like to have high quality native E-mount T/S lenses.  I'd be fine with fully manual aperture and focus as long as EXIF data was communicated to the camera.  Do I think Sony will do this?  No.  The market niche is so small there's little incentive for Sony.  Existing Canon TS-E lenses are readily adapted to E-mount bodies so we do have access to lenses.  I'm surprised none of the third party manufacturers have filled this niche.  Laowa has a couple wide shift lenses.  Samyang is the only one to make a tilt plus shift lens.  None of them are good optically or mechanically.  None were designed for a mirrorless register.  A complete lineup of short flange T/S focal lengths would be great.

Off-axis tilt movements cannot be replicated by software.  On-axis tilt  to increase DoF can be emulated with focus stacking methods.  Oddly, Sony has only recently added that feature into a camera for the first time.  That points towards a future more reliant on computational processing rather than optical solutions.

Shift movements are more easily emulated by cropping ultra wide angle views.  There are some tricks you cannot duplicate without camera movements.  Software, ultra wide lenses and high res sensors offer enough for most photographers to accomplish what they need to.

Sure, I'd like to have high quality native E-mount T/S lenses.  I'd be fine with fully manual aperture and focus as long as EXIF data was communicated to the camera.  Do I think Sony will do this?  No.  The market niche is so small there's little incentive for Sony.  Existing Canon TS-E lenses are readily adapted to E-mount bodies so we do have access to lenses.  I'm surprised none of the third party manufacturers have filled this niche.  Laowa has a couple wide shift lenses.  Samyang is the only one to make a tilt plus shift lens.  None of them are good optically or mechanically.  None were designed for a mirrorless register.  A complete lineup of short flange T/S focal lengths would be great.

Off-axis tilt movements cannot be replicated by software.  On-axis tilt  to increase DoF can be emulated with focus stacking methods.  Oddly, Sony has only recently added that feature into a camera for the first time.  That points towards a future more reliant on computational processing rather than optical solutions.

Shift movements are more easily emulated by cropping ultra wide angle views.  There are some tricks you cannot duplicate without camera movements.  Software, ultra wide lenses and high res sensors offer enough for most photographers to accomplish what they need to.

I have no insight as to what Sony will do as you can imagine. I agree that the market segment for these types of lenses, given today's software, is small indeed. Not sure it would be worth Sony's investment. If enough people are interested I would assume they would get serious about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently own the new TTartisan 50mm f/1.4 Tilt lens.  At $229, it's a steal.  It doesn't have the kind of sharpness we enjoy with our G and GM glass from Sony but it is working well for me.  I'd love to see Sony make a few TSE lenses!  I'd especially want a 24/50/90 set to start with.