RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Dueling Cameras for Wildlife and Landscape

DrJohn

For years I battled a heavy case with 2 cameras - one for wildlife and one for landscape. Changing lenses in the field was also difficult and requires more time than is available for sudden wildlife shots, especially flying birds. I tried backpacks, but trying to get a camera out in time to catch wildlife was difficult. Now, I carry two cases criss cross one over each shoulder. One has the A1 with a 70-300 mm lens and sometimes the 100-400 mm lens and a few accessories for wildlife. The other case has the A7RIIIA with 24 mm lens and a water bottle for landscape. With this setup, I find myself using both cameras more often. 

I use the OP/TECH USA S.O.S. Curve Strap (Black) # 0901312 adjusted to 48" length.

Could contain: Bag, Backpack, Accessories, HandbagCould contain: Accessories, Strap, Blouse, Clothing, Bag

• Like 2

Nice carrying solution. I've been trying to think of a good solution for dual cameras as well. I've been searching and keeping an eye out for camera holsters and found: https://www.cottoncarrier.com/ 

I still haven't purchased it yet, but seems like a pretty decent solution if you're looking for speed and ease of access to your cameras as long as you don't mind your cameras exposed to the elements while you're out hiking.

I was thinking of hanging my a1 with 600mm on the chest slot and the a7rIV with a 12-24mm on the side hip holster.

Very nice. Curious if you've considered lightening the load to just the A1. With those bags around your shoulders, I can't imagine it's easy to get one out for landscape and if a bird flies by, then easily switch. It's probably about the same amount of time as it would be to change lenses and the A1 is superior in every way. So why not just use the a1 for all of it and now you'd only need a small lens pouch in case you needed to change? 

Great setup though!

@TrekRover I have something similar that I use when I take my 600mm out on my kayak. Works great to free up my hands and not have to worry about the camera or lens banging around the kayak and setting it down every time I want to paddle. The weight does pull you forward though - hard to have good posture with that thing weighing your chest down 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...