RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

June Photo Dump!

bmcdonough

Hey all! I thought it would be fun to share our June photos. 

My landlord installed a honeybee hive in our backyard so I've been playing with my Sony A7RV and the Sony 90mm macro. I was also inspired by @CarolineJensen to practice my botanical photography with off camera flash (still need to work on that one!) 

Also, I helped my brother shoot a film and we got to use crazy fun lights. I added a few BTS photos from the shoot. 

What were you up to in June? Share your photo dump here! 

Could contain: Person, Sitting, Boy, Male, Teen, Lighting, Solo Performance, Face, Footwear, Shoe

Could contain: People, Person, Adult, Male, Man, Dancing, Walking, Wheel, Outdoors, Night

Could contain: Flower, Petal, Animal, Apidae, Bee, Daisy, Pollen, Bumblebee, Honey Bee, Anemone

Could contain: Animal, Bee, Honey Bee, Insect, Invertebrate, Apidae, Bumblebee, Wasp

Could contain: Animal, Bee, Honey Bee, Insect, Invertebrate, Apidae, Bumblebee, Wasp

Could contain: Flower, Plant, Lavender, Flower Arrangement

• Like 6

@bmcdonough, wonderful images. 

Late June, as I rushed out the door for an unplanned trip, I grabbed my A1, FE 24–105mm F4 G OSS, and at the last moment, the FE 200–600 mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS on the way out the door. A thousand kilometres from home, I met some birders who took me on an outing.

Could contain: Animal, Beak, Bird, Blackbird, Nature, Outdoors, Pond, Water, Land

Could contain: Animal, Anseriformes, Bird, Waterfowl, Ball, Football, Soccer, Soccer Ball, Sport, Duck

Could contain: Animal, Beak, Bird, Anseriformes, Waterfowl, Nature, Outdoors, Pond, Water, Swan

Could contain: Animal, Bird, Owl

Could contain: Animal, Bird, Owl

Could contain: Plant, Vegetation, Tree, Animal, Bird, Owl

Edited by ST
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, bmcdonough said:

@ST I love those bird shots - especially the owls!

Do you typically photograph birds? What's your preferred subject? 

Thanks, and thanks for asking.

I got my first camera a year ago, so I'm still figuring out how everything works.

I walk for two-three hours early every morning, camera in hand. There are lots of migratory birds passing through here, but there are also beautiful landscapes, lots of flora, marine activity and boats, and trains.

I occasionally get into town to do some street photography, and I'm active in the local community. This has led to some event photography too. 

Current equipment list.

Alpha 1 | Alpha 7 IV | FE PZ 16–35 mm f/4 G | FE 24–105mm f/4 G OSS | FE 70–200 mm f/2.8 GM OSS II | FE 200–600 mm f/5.6–6.3 G OSS | 2x Teleconverter SEL20TC

Preferred subject? Too soon to say.

What's your preferred subject?

Here are some photos I took this morning.

Could contain: Animal, Mammal, Sea Life, Seal, Sea LionCould contain: Photography, Adult, Male, Man, Person, SoilCould contain: Plant, Pollen, Animal, Apidae, Bee, Invertebrate, Flower, Petal, Bumblebee, Honey BeeCould contain: Railway, Adult, Female, Person, Woman, Shipping Container, Wheel, Train, Vehicle, Freight CarCould contain: Animal, Canine, Dog, Mammal, Pet, German Shepherd

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 4:59 PM, ST said:

Preferred subject? Too soon to say.

What's your preferred subject?

Here are some photos I took this morning.

I love the new photos you shared! You've got a great all-around kit for trying out different subjects. 

I would say nature and wildlife are my favorite subjects... I love macro photography and photographing bees! But all wildlife is fun for me! I'm in the process of switching my kit fully to Sony. I have the A7RV and now I'm getting more lenses. 

• Like 2

On 7/19/2023 at 3:22 PM, bmcdonough said:

Hey all! I thought it would be fun to share our June photos. 

My landlord installed a honeybee hive in our backyard so I've been playing with my Sony A7RV and the Sony 90mm macro. I was also inspired by @CarolineJensen to practice my botanical photography with off camera flash (still need to work on that one!) 

Also, I helped my brother shoot a film and we got to use crazy fun lights. I added a few BTS photos from the shoot. 

What were you up to in June? Share your photo dump here! 

Could contain: Person, Sitting, Boy, Male, Teen, Lighting, Solo Performance, Face, Footwear, Shoe

Could contain: People, Person, Adult, Male, Man, Dancing, Walking, Wheel, Outdoors, Night

Could contain: Flower, Petal, Animal, Apidae, Bee, Daisy, Pollen, Bumblebee, Honey Bee, Anemone

Could contain: Flower, Plant, Lavender, Flower Arrangement

Woot!!! Love this, Brooke! ...and yeah for the bees!!! I just ordered 48 trade packets of pollinator varieties for a new pollinator garden AND used my grant money to get hundreds of new plants too! 

• Like 1

@CarolineJensenThank you!!  I took a lot of inspiration from your work - next time I'll need to set up a backdrop for the flowers...  I thought I could black it out with a high enough shutter speed but I'm not super adept with lighting so I couldn't get it to work. Oooh yay for a pollinator garden!! I can't wait to see pictures! I'm starting to plan out what I want to plant for the fall... it's the only thing getting me through the heat advisory in Virginia! 

alpha-jessica-a
This post was recognized by alpha-jessica-a!

"These are gorgeous!"

thesaltedimage was awarded 10 points.

June was Peony season for me, one of my favorite times of the year. Peonies have a very short time to bloom and I spent hours everyday shooting in order to make the most of it. @bmcdonough the heat was intense yesterday for sure! We had a advisory as well.

Could contain: Flower, Flower Arrangement, Flower Bouquet, Rose, Art, Floral Design, Graphics, Pattern, Dahlia, Petal

Could contain: Flower, Flower Arrangement, Plant, Flower Bouquet, Rose, Art, Floral Design, Graphics, Pattern, Petal

Could contain: Flower, Flower Arrangement, Flower Bouquet, Plant, Petal, Dahlia, Geranium, Rose

Could contain: Flower, Plant, Flower Arrangement, Flower Bouquet, Rose, Carnation, Geranium, Petal, Peony

Could contain: Flower, Flower Arrangement, Flower Bouquet, Plant, Petal, Rose, Carnation, Dahlia

• Like 3

@thesaltedimage your work is stunning! I just planted some native flowers for the fall, including a ton of goldenrod so I'm planning on taking tons of images of them when they bloom. I think I'll try the studio setup again, definitely something I need to work on! I love the look of creating your own light, I'm just not very good at it yet 🤣 

• Like 1