RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

What gear to advise college students to get with limited budget?

LensBrew

I'm the photo-editor for our university's independent newspaper. Since I took over, I noticed students plan to buy their own gear eventually or as-soon-as-possible.

On average they want gear within $500-$700 budget, with more than half wanting to shoot sports. Some mainly outdoors, such as football, while other outdoors and indoors.

Any recommendation to help guide them to some good gear to enjoy photography?

Edited by LensBrew

I think maybe a good option would be to buy used APS-C format cameras or Point and Shoots like the RX100?

DSC-RX100IV with 16fps continuous.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-iv/2

I actually see some listings for new RX100VII for around $550:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l1313&_nkw=sony+dsc-RX100IV&_sacat=0

I disagree on the point-and-shoots.

If these students are planning to pursue a professional photography career they need to be looking at DSLR/mirrorless bodies. But that budget it going to be tough especially when you start looking at lenses.

Is there any chance the paper can provide equipment? Back when I was the photo editor at the college paper we had a DLSR and 70-200/2.8 that could be checked-out for assignments.

On 8/4/2023 at 7:21 PM, kevinmcox said:

If these students are planning to pursue a professional photography career they need to be looking at DSLR/mirrorless bodies. But that budget it going to be tough especially when you start looking at lenses.

Is there any chance the paper can provide equipment? Back when I was the photo editor at the college paper we had a DLSR and 70-200/2.8 that could be checked-out for assignments.

I agree having an interchangeable body would be better, but as a student, most things are about budget. Like you mentioned, if they can rent or borrow that would be best. However if they're new to photography its better to get a point and shoot to start. Its low cost and you can focus on learning the basics of photography. If they truly want to continue pursuing photography then upgrade to an APS-C and eventually Full Frame if they choose to make it a career.

On 8/4/2023 at 10:21 PM, kevinmcox said:

Unfortunately, the gear we have is limited to 2 nikon bodies, 2 nikon lenses and 3 canon lenses. I have a large number oh students to give the gear to.

They want to buy gear for themselves and not rely on the newspaper. Some of them travel as part of their curriculum, or accompany one of the university sports team.. Especially, I'm assuming, if they want to take graduation photos and get paid doing that. Which they cannot do legally with the newspaper equipment.

On 8/6/2023 at 5:03 PM, TrekRover said:

I agree having an interchangeable body would be better, but as a student, most things are about budget. Like you mentioned, if they can rent or borrow that would be best. However if they're new to photography its better to get a point and shoot to start. Its low cost and you can focus on learning the basics of photography. If they truly want to continue pursuing photography then upgrade to an APS-C and eventually Full Frame if they choose to make it a career.

They are mostly new, and some claim to have done some work during high school. They want the reach to shoot sports. a point and shoot will be limited with battery life, video capabilities and dynamic range. Those 3 are very critical to what they want to achieve.

I wish sony would have used equipment market tailored to that group. Even better if they have special support for university newspapers.

• Like 1