RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Live AMA with Matt Hernandez

alpha-jessica-a

Question from Tony Z from our announcement thread: Thank you for sharing so many tips and behind the scenes looks for all of us! I love following your accounts and videos! My question is do you feel that you can get the same type of shots you get without having high-speed sync lights? Or do you feel high-speed sync is a must? I have great lights but they are not HSS (Einsteins) and to switch would be a pretty significant investment for a hobbyist like me.

So I will just be 100% honest…I use to shoot with Einsteins for years and they were great, but now that I have battery powered cordless strobes you couldn’t pay me to go back haha. It’s SO much easier you really don't understand until you make the switch. Another huge benefit is HSS.

• Like 1

Question from Tony Z from our announcement thread: Thank you for sharing so many tips and behind the scenes looks for all of us! I love following your accounts and videos! My question is do you feel that you can get the same type of shots you get without having high-speed sync lights? Or do you feel high-speed sync is a must? I have great lights but they are not HSS (Einsteins) and to switch would be a pretty significant investment for a hobbyist like me.

You just cant do lit action without it, unless you’re inside and want to use flash duration to freeze the action, which I do all the time.

• Like 1

Not only do you not have to have HSS to do it, but you save flash/battery power because the flash duration and action freezing is better the lower the power of the strobe.

• Like 1

Einstein are some of the best strobes for Flash Duration actually! Here’s a video I did on HSS vs. Flash Duration if you want to see it more in depth:

• Like 1

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYfKqt_Z0M

• Like 1

I was already invested in Godox (sorry!). Think I can get by with two 400s and 2 200's?

I know those lights are great as well! Absolutely those will work. It obviously depends on what you’re shooting, but for individuals it would be more than enough. You could even do teams of 10 or so with those lights very easily.

I am all about loyalty. How do you offer photos without feeling like you are trying to steal business or step on toes? A franchise does our kids soccer team. I still feel bad but not as bad as if someone local was doing it. This is part of the business I need to work on. Getting business without encroaching.

Please elaborate on the Hopkinsville lighting technique and flash settings

Ok so that is the same shutter drag technique I talked about earlier in the chat so you can refer to that for the bulk of the technique. The only thing I added was a remote controlled fog machine (the same one I used in my most current YouTube video) to add in the fog.

I am all about loyalty. How do you offer photos without feeling like you are trying to steal business or step on toes? A franchise does our kids soccer team. I still feel bad but not as bad as if someone local was doing it. This is part of the business I need to work on. Getting business without encroaching.

I feel the same way all the time! I am NOT a salesman and don’t ever want to sound like one. My best advice here is be genuine and take care of people. Make their experience exceptional and they will recommend you to others. Word of mouth is still the most powerful form of advertising and marketing there is

Thank you!

if you do good work and give people a great experience they will busy stuff from you!

Yeah, I would never make it in sales. I do a charity bike ride every year and always struggle asking for money for it lol

you do have to make sure your pricing is where it needs to be because remember, you are running a business. If you don’t make money to run it you wont have one. So do your research there. Workshops and training from others that know what they are talking about is very valuable in that respect.

Im the same way, trust me. Just remember, if you give them your pricing up front they are coming to you expecting to pay for your work