RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Live AMA with Matt Hernandez

alpha-jessica-a

Can you give some tips on the process of booking senior sessions? Determining locations and concepts, etc..

I always ask them to send us their outfits right away to figure out where would be best to go. Also what extracurricular are they involved in, because those can be cool to make a unique photo out of. They dont always tell you if its something that isnt obvious, so sometimes you have to ask.

How do you make your clients feel comfortable in front of the camera? Especially teenagers.

Thanks Matt! It can feel discouraging sometimes but when I have those shoot which everything clicks, it makes me want to keep trying. I am going to keep trying. I hear people say "confidence is key."

Do you do anything special with your camera to make lit portraits easier?

Setting up your custom buttons for things you use frequently is always a good idea and time saver. Also back button focus is a must. Besides that, I shoot shallow the majority of the time unless its a wide dramatic shot.

Do you give your senior clients questionnaires to fill out?

I don’t. I use to and I never looked at them ahead of time haha. I don't think its a bad idea if you can make sure its integrated into your workflow so you will use it. We also had a hard time getting them ti fill it out in enough time to actually utilize it.

What do think is the most challenging part of the Business?

Continuing to challenge yourself and evolve. I see photographers get complacent all the time and get out dated. That is a struggle for everyone I know in the industry and it is VERY important to continue your education and always be learning and evolving. If not you’ll get left behind!

Thank you SO much for everyone that came to the AMA and asked questions. This was a lot fun and very humbling. I hope everyone enjoyed it and learned something. Anyone who wants to reach out to me with questions or info about a workshops in the future don’t hesitate.

Here’s all my social links I use regularly. And a HUGE thank you to the team at the Sony Alpha Universe…thank you so much for having me! I hope we can do it again in the future!

YouTube
IG
TikTok
Facebook