RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Need help with Sony 2.0X Teleconverter

Joey-Austin

23 hours ago, Joey-Austin said:

Hello Alpha Universe,

I am thinking bout getting the 2.0X Teleconverter but I am wondering it it may effect the AF speed, or does the lens work as it supposed to?

Thank you 

Hi Joey-Austin,

I personally haven't really noticed a slowdown in AF speed. Works well when you want that extra reach, however the lighting and IQ does take a hit.

I've used it with A7RIV, A1, 200-600, and 600mm. Though I think at those range its more of a matter of keeping your hand/arm, and aim steady with that magnification.

Hi, @Joey-Austin

I always carry the 2.0X teleconverter when I use the A1 with the FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II or FE 200–600 mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS.

Everything works exactly as you'd expect.  

As for the autofocus speed, it may be just a touch slower with the FE 200–600 mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS, but that may be my perception. It's more challenging to keep a bird in flight in the frame with the teleconverter on. I think that's a function of the smaller field of view. It's not an issue when the subject is static.

I'm very happy to use the 2.0X Teleconverter with the FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II. 

What lens(es) and bod(ies) would you be using with it?

On 9/13/2023 at 12:10 PM, Joey-Austin said:

Hello Alpha Universe,

I am thinking bout getting the 2.0X Teleconverter but I am wondering it it may effect the AF speed, or does the lens work as it supposed to?

Thank you 

Edited by ST
  • Like 2

Adding the 2X to any lens will have little effect in bright light conditions like surfing.  Once the light gets lower though and the exposure climbs, it becomes more difficult for the AF system to respond in the same way it does when light is plentiful.  Adding the 2X to an f/2.8 lens will have little effect but adding it to the 200-600G will drastically effect it's ability to AF.  On the a1, it will continue to AF while on other cameras it will cease AF altogether.  The sensor needs light for the  AF to work.  Adding a 2X taxes the system.  If you are considering buying a 2X for your system, it may also mean that you need to invest in a new, faster lens in the future.  This is why the new FE300mm f/2.8GM is so important...  Hope this helps you 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...