RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Live AMA with Ryan Ditch

alpha-jessica-a

Could contain: Road, Cityscape, Urban, City, Freeway, Metropolis, Highway, Office Building, Downtown, Tower@Ryan Ditch Photo is a San Diego based landscape and commercial photographer who is deeply passionate about community and education. Ryan is here to answer questions you may have about landscape photography, working with commercial clients, gear, editing, and building community around your photography work. You can check out some of Ryan’s work on his Instagram.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi! My name is Ryan Ditch – I am a San Diego based landscape and commercial photographer. I’m excited to chat with you all today! I’m happy to answer any questions on landscape photography, working with commercial clients, gear, editing, and building community around your photography work. You’re welcome to check out some of my work on my instagram. I will be typing these answers in real time, I’m excited to answer your questions!

We’re excited to have Ryan Ditch in the community for this live AMA. This is a great time to learn and connect with Ryan on his work, ask questions about how he got to the level he is at today and any tips or tricks you’d like to know! Please be patient, as Ryan will be typing responses out as questions come in.

We had a few questions come in from our AMA announcement thread, so to kick things off here's a question from AvMil: "I have a question - can you talk through your basic setup for night photos? I struggle with night sky photos"

Would love to talk about night photos! First, a tripod is most often necessary since you might be working at slower shutter speeds. I operate at higher ISO typically around 400 to lift the blacks and make editing in post easier. Lastly, I try to shoot at a tighter aperture to keep the light crisp.

We had a few questions come in from our AMA announcement thread, so to kick things off here's a question from AvMil: "I have a question - can you talk through your basic setup for night photos? I struggle with night sky photos"

If you're referring to Milky Way then that would be a totally difference process. I get to locations early to scout my composition and then wait for blue hour. Once blue hour hits I'll take my foreground. Then I'll use an astro tracker to capture my Milky Way shot which I will composite in Photoshop.

When scouting I will use Photopills to ensure the Milky Way will align with my composition. I like to screen shot that so I can line up my composite perfectly.

Question from Nodav: "What are your tips for someone just getting started in landscape photography?"

Hi Nodav! My first tip would be to understand what type of photography you like. I know you mentioned landscape, but is that urban or nature? Is that big sweeping landscapes or telephoto scenes? Once you start to understand what you enjoy you can build your photography kit and narrow down locations.

So interesting! I didn't think of combining photos from different times of day. Thank you!

Hi Ryan, big fan of your work! How would you recommend fine tuning the orange/blue hues when editing?

Means a lot thank you and I'd be happy to help. I don't recommend the Color Grading tool in Lightroom because it can be a bit advance. I honestly don't use it that much. However, the HSL slider in Lightroom is amazing. Also, the Calibration tool at the very bottom of Lightroom is amazing as well.

Hi Ryan, big fan of your work! How would you recommend fine tuning the orange/blue hues when editing?

Anytime you're dealing with color it's important to understand complimentary colors which orange and blur are. However, there are different hues within those colors so make sure your oranges and blues work together. I personally light a very saturated true orange and a more aqua desaturated blue

Question from sowil: "Can you walk through your day-to-day camera set up, and what gear is your go-to?"

Absolutely! My go to lens is the Sony 24-70 2.8 GM II. I love the versatility of this lens. Plus, its a workhorse when it comes to product photography which I typically shoot at 50mm. My camera is a Sony a7RV which I love, but can be overkill for most photographers.

Question from sowil: "Can you walk through your day-to-day camera set up, and what gear is your go-to?"

I use it because my main source of income is product/commercial so I want as much resolution as possible. I also typically shoot on a tripod that way I can compose my shot and take multiple exposures in the event I want to blend.

Any tips for collaborating with brands or starting ambassadorships?

Yes, my main tip is to first reach out to brands you already use since you're knowledgable and can create content for them to see before hiring you. Second, I would reach out to smaller brands that might be just building out their ambassador programs. That is how I got in with Slik, Polar Pro and others.