RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

"Raw Only" photo contests? General rambling

aquabluedreams.com

Not a new subject and it's been a long time since I entered a photo contest.  Years ago many contests had Raw to "do what you want categories".  But as I see AI progress to a point were you don't even need a camera to publish amazing photos/images will photographers take on the challenge of producing images "straight from the camera?"  

Will there be a market for "not digitally altered" photos?  Thinking about all the time, money and effort I have put in to be at the right place, at the right time, with the right gear and that small part of me wondering "why bother?"   But there is that nagging part of me that if I share an image and others look at it I want them to Know what it took to capture that unique moment, petty I know, lol.    

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, aquabluedreams.com said:

Not a new subject and it's been a long time since I entered a photo contest.  Years ago many contests had Raw to "do what you want categories".  But as I see AI progress to a point were you don't even need a camera to publish amazing photos/images will photographers take on the challenge of producing images "straight from the camera?"  

Will there be a market for "not digitally altered" photos?  Thinking about all the time, money and effort I have put in to be at the right place, at the right time, with the right gear and that small part of me wondering "why bother?"   But there is that nagging part of me that if I share an image and others look at it I want them to Know what it took to capture that unique moment, petty I know, lol.    

With technology advancements today, photography has become a commodity. Everyone can be a photographer now. Its been simplified to require less skill. In some ways the AI and processing in smartphones produces high quality results faster than humans can. Smartphones can also shoot RAW now as well. The art of photography is dying/evolving depending on your viewpoint.

I think it is important now more than ever to revisit the reason and purpose why we do photography.

My parents would always complain that I spend money on traveling and photography. They would always say, "Why don't you just google search for the image?" lol and I would always say, "It's not the same!"

For me it has always been about capturing my own memories and experiences and the way I see and perceive things. Until AI can copy my brain and how I think, I'll still be doing my photography and capturing memories. It is from these memories that I can tell stories. Hope I can have a family someday and tell my children and grand children the adventures I went on 🙂