RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Travel to Japan - What equipment to bring?

GiuseppeProto

Hy Alpha friends, How are you?
On the next mouth i will a wonderfull travel photography on Japan, at november, during the fall / Kojo season.

I'm so excited, and honestly is my first time go in this country, i'll stay here on two weeks. 

Howewer, my doubt is about the equipment to bring in this journey. I'll made Landscape, Street, Reportage and Portrait

My ideas is: two cameras: a7RIV (main) and a7RIII (backup) and tree lens 16-35GM, 85GM, 70-200GM.
It's a good set-up? o any ideas?

thanks to those who will answer this question.
GIUSEPPE.

Edited by GiuseppeProto
  • Like 1

My advice would be to go as lightweight with gear as possible. The 70-200GM would be out for me, but if you don't mind the weight, its a great lens choice. Be prepared to do A LOT of walking and wear comfortable shoes. Between switching trains (the stations are huge spaces with lots of stairs) and walking to shrines (lots of hills) we sometimes walked 9 miles in a day. Gear can get very heavy! Many places like trains and shrines can be very crowded, so maneuvering extra bags of gear could be problematic. I brought my A7iii, 24-70 f2.8GM and a 50mm f1.4, but I plan to have either the Sony Alpha 7CR, or the Sony Alpha 7C II and the Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 G Master II lens when I go back next summer.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fiannabean1 said:

My advice would be to go as lightweight with gear as possible. The 70-200GM would be out for me, but if you don't mind the weight, its a great lens choice. Be prepared to do A LOT of walking and wear comfortable shoes. Between switching trains (the stations are huge spaces with lots of stairs) and walking to shrines (lots of hills) we sometimes walked 9 miles in a day. Gear can get very heavy! Many places like trains and shrines can be very crowded, so maneuvering extra bags of gear could be problematic. I brought my A7iii, 24-70 f2.8GM and a 50mm f1.4, but I plan to have either the Sony Alpha 7CR, or the Sony Alpha 7C II and the Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 G Master II lens when I go back next summer.

Hy @fiannabean1, Thank'you for the tip. The 70-200 mk1 GM is so heavy but i love it. Hovewer i have a doubt whether to bring it or not, with the intention of putting it as a reserve on suitcase and using the 16-35 and 85. Unfortunately I am being treated against the sciatic nerve injury and therefore the doubt rises. Maybe another solution is insert my bag the 24-70mm GM mk2 and reduce the weight from telezoom. 

Will see look. for moment thank'you so much🙏

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 2:49 PM, GiuseppeProto said:

Hy Alpha friends, How are you?
On the next mouth i will a wonderfull travel photography on Japan, at november, during the fall / Kojo season.

I'm so excited, and honestly is my first time go in this country, i'll stay here on two weeks. 

Howewer, my doubt is about the equipment to bring in this journey. I'll made Landscape, Street, Reportage and Portrait

My ideas is: two cameras: a7RIV (main) and a7RIII (backup) and tree lens 16-35GM, 85GM, 70-200GM.
It's a good set-up? o any ideas?

thanks to those who will answer this question.
GIUSEPPE.

Hello! I'm also travelling to Japan for the first time in a few weeks and debating which gear to take with me. Basically we're all trying to find the right compromise between portability and image quality.

I currently own the A7IV and 2 lenses: Tamron 28-75 2.8 G2 and Sigma 100-400 DG DN. I'll definitely be taking the Tamron with me and leaving the Sigma at home but I'm not sure of which 1 or 2 other lenses to buy and/or rent for the trip between these options:

1) something ultrawide like the Sony 16 35 2.8 or 20 1.8
2) a more standard prime for some low light shots like the 35 1.4
3) telephoto zoom like the sony 70 200 2.8 or tamron 70-180 2.8

Regarding your setup, I would take either the 85 prime or the 70-200 zoom and not both of them.

Edited by PedroCSilva

On 10/23/2023 at 11:46 AM, PedroCSilva said:

Hello! I'm also travelling to Japan for the first time in a few weeks and debating which gear to take with me. Basically we're all trying to find the right compromise between portability and image quality.

I currently own the A7IV and 2 lenses: Tamron 28-75 2.8 G2 and Sigma 100-400 DG DN. I'll definitely be taking the Tamron with me and leaving the Sigma at home but I'm not sure of which 1 or 2 other lenses to buy and/or rent for the trip between these options:

1) something ultrawide like the Sony 16 35 2.8 or 20 1.8
2) a more standard prime for some low light shots like the 35 1.4
3) telephoto zoom like the sony 70 200 2.8 or tamron 70-180 2.8

Regarding your setup, I would take either the 85 prime or the 70-200 zoom and not both of them.

I think your Tamron is a perfect choice! When I travel light, I'll also add-on a wide angle lens.

Overall it depends on your focus of what you want to capture.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 5:46 AM, PedroCSilva said:

Ciao! Sto anche viaggiando in Giappone per la prima volta in poche settimane e sto discutendo su quale attrezzatura portare con me. Fondamentalmente stiamo tutti cercando di trovare il giusto compromesso tra portabilità e qualità dell'immagine.

Attualmente possiedo l'A7IV e 2 obiettivi: Tamron 28-75 2.8 G2 e Sigma 100-400 DG DN. Sicuramente porterò il Tamron con me e lasciare il Sigma a casa, ma non sono sicuro di quale 1 o 2 altri obiettivi per acquistare e / o noleggiare per il viaggio tra queste opzioni:

1) qualcosa di ultrawide come il Sony 16 35 2.8 o 20 1.8 2) un primo più standard per alcuni scatti in condizioni di scarsa illuminazione come il 35 1.4
3) teleobiettivo zoom come il Sony 70 200 2.8 o Tamron 70-180

Per quanto riguarda la tua configurazione, prenderei o il primo 85 o lo zoom 70-200 e non entrambi.

Hello!
honestly i consider use only prime lenses, 35 and 85 GM's and try to rent the 14 GM, otherwise take my 16-35 GM. Maybe is good/best solution to make a great story