RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

A1 flagship lack of firmware update support

Jonathan

As I watch Canon and Nikon roll out firmware updates for their high end camera line I am disappointed by Sony’s lack of support for their flagship A1.  Granted there has been 2 minor firmware updates since the 2021 launch, it is clear there are software advances in their newer cameras which could/should be added to the A1.  The fact Sony hasn’t is bewildering.  I hope they read these forums and take the suggestions and criticisms seriously and re-engage with owners.  Active support by both Sony and its users is what creates a strong, lasting community.  Sony, your obligation should not end with just putting out new products (which is great) but also ensuring older products remain cutting edge for as long as the hardware allows. 

I get what you're saying. However, Sony isn't Canon/Nikon/or any other camera company. When you buy a Sony a1 or any other Sony model, you are paying for the features in that camera at the time of release. There is no entitlement or promise that you'll receive updates for a # of years.

From a technical standpoint, firmware updates are meant to fix flaws and bugs in a product. If a company needs to continuously release firmware updates, that means they built and previously released a bad quality product. The fact that the a1 hasn't released many firmware updates, means the quality is pretty decent. However, according to Sony Alpha Rumors supposedly there is an a1 firmware in the works because of the complaints of lack of feature updates, so we may be in luck!

I would hope that Sony doesn't become like other camera brands. They must be doing something right, which is the reason companies like Apple, Google, Fujifilm, Nikon, and even Hasselblad use Sony sensors for their cameras and why they have 42% market share of the camera sensor market.

Edited by TrekRover

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2023 at 7:07 PM, TrekRover said:

I get what you're saying. However, Sony isn't Canon/Nikon/or any other camera company. When you buy a Sony a1 or any other Sony model, you are paying for the features in that camera at the time of release. There is no entitlement or promise that you'll receive updates for a # of years.

From a technical standpoint, firmware updates are meant to fix flaws and bugs in a product. If a company needs to continuously release firmware updates, that means they built and previously released a bad quality product. The fact that the a1 hasn't released many firmware updates, means the quality is pretty decent. However, according to Sony Alpha Rumors supposedly there is an a1 firmware in the works because of the complaints of lack of feature updates, so we may be in luck!

I would hope that Sony doesn't become like other camera brands. They must be doing something right, which is the reason companies like Apple, Google, Fujifilm, Nikon, and even Hasselblad use Sony sensors for their cameras and why they have 42% market share of the camera sensor market.

Sony Semiconductors makes the sensor, this is a fully owned but independently run subsidiary of Sony.

Sony cameras are instead part of Sony consumer division so in effect a customer like others of the semiconductor business

Mobile phones and other uses security, industrial, medicals drive more volumes than consumer cameras 

With regards to the firmware update if you invest in a camera that has a 4-5 years lifecycle and there is a new software development it should be your duty of case to fit this into the existing range especially if this is premium

Focus bracketing is a good example. Sony cameras had this gap since forever and now in the A7R V there is an excellent implementation. The same feature is available through external application that use wifi using the SDK and APIs so Sony should simply do the coding and put in the A1 as others have already done it as an open source or private project using the tools that are already there.

I hope Sony keeps addressing their A1 users, I have two bodies and I need to reach out to my lower grade Panasonic camera because of focus bracketing and better video stabilisation. I would rather have my Sony camera do it all and get rid of this equipment

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/19/2023 at 1:05 PM, GordonT said:

I'd like to see an update to the A1 where you can delete a group of images, eg after taking a burst you protect the ones you want and then tell it you delete the rest of the group, as the A6700 can do.

Can't the A1 do this already? I use the "Display as Group" feature all the time and can delete entire bursts at once.

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2024 at 9:39 PM, kevinmcox said:

Can't the A1 do this already? I use the "Display as Group" feature all the time and can delete entire bursts at once.

Yes you are correct!! Found it but had a issue if you protected the 1st image you couldn't delete the rest of the group, now fixed in v2 firmware. 🙂

• Like 1