RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Forum Spotlight: Leah McLean

alpha-jessica-a

For this month's Forum Feature we are thrilled to highlight Leah McLean, also known as @thesaltedimage. Leah is a great member of our Forum community and a fantastic photographer. She is known for her floral imagery, creating stunning still life images. She told us that, “I have a love for gardening, art and creating light with off camera flash, and this niche is the perfect combo of all three subjects. I love to be inspired by the still life paintings of the Dutch masters and I use that art as a source of inspiration for arranging my florals, composition, light and color choices. I also love nature and being outside in my garden where I grow my floral subjects and love to create my own light using off-camera flash for both indoor and outdoor locations. OCF is a major part of my creative process and I use one to three lights in virtually all of my work. My bag of gear is almost exactly the same for if I am shooting inside or out in my garden.” 

Take a look at some of Leah’s stunning images! To make these fantastic florals, Leah shoots on the Sony Alpha 7R III and the Sony 55mm f/1.8.

Could contain: Flower, Plant, Flower Arrangement, Flower Bouquet, Rose, Petal, Geranium

Could contain: Flower, Flower Arrangement, Flower Bouquet, Plant, Petal, Anemone, Rose, Floral Design, Graphics, Pattern

Leah also teaches her techniques, head to her website to learn more from Leah. 

Could contain: Flower, Flower Arrangement, Plant, Flower Bouquet, Ikebana, Rose, Art, Animal, Bird

Could contain: Dahlia, Flower, Plant, Rose, Petal

And check out the gear she relies on to make her imagery here. Thank you @thesaltedimage for being such an active and supportive member of the Sony community! 

If you’d like to be featured in a forum spotlight, we’d love to see you share some of your work here in the forums! You can show us a grandscape image you’ve taken or create a new topic to showcase your own niche. We look forward to seeing what you share!

• Like 3

On 11/1/2023 at 10:05 AM, avmil said:

@thesaltedimage i was just reading your other Alpha Universe feature yesterday! Your work is amazing!! Do you grow your own flowers? and do you have commercial clients or is this more of a fine art business? 

Congrats on the feature!!

Thank you! Yes, I grow my own flowers. 🙂 I spent all yesterday digging up my dahlia tubers for next year. I work with an art licensing agent as well as selling fine art prints. 

• Like 1