RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Get Ready for Thanksgiving by Checking out this Food Photographer’s Work

alpha-jessica-a

@Suzi Pratt is a leading food and restaurant photographer and she’s also well-known for her tech reviews at Gemini Connect on YouTube. Suzi will be joining Sony Alpha Universe for a Live Ask Me Anything Event in the Community Forums on November 16, 2023 from 10AM - 12PM PST. We wanted to learn more about Suzi’s photography work and how she shoots her food scenes. Keep reading to learn how she created and captured this delicious Thanksgiving spread.

Could contain: Brunch, Food, Food Presentation, Meat, Pork, Cooking Pot, Pot, Person, Skin, Tattoo

I've been a freelance restaurant and corporate event photographer ever since 2012. I brand myself as a restaurant photographer because most of my work takes place in the restaurant space itself and the photo subjects range from staged food photos, cooking and prep, interiors, lifestyle, and staff headshots – so it's a little bit of everything.

Prior to this photo shoot, we had several virtual meetings and set up a mood board for the photo shoot, plus arranged for props (the pumpkin and corn) and talent (the hands) for this photo, and many more in the series.

I used my Sony Alpha 7 IV and Sony 24-105mm f/4 G to capture this photo. The Sony 24-105mm f/4 G is a staple lens for restaurant photos because of its flexible range and relatively compact design. For food photos, especially flat lays like this one, I often shoot at least at f/4, if not f/6.3 or f/11 to get everything in focus, so I don't need bigger, more expensive fast aperture lenses. Instead, I value the flexible zoom range more.

Learn more about this setup, the lighting, and the post-processing by reading the full article HERE. And ask Suzi any questions you may have during her AMA happening this Thursday, November 16th from 10AM - 12PM PST. If you can’t make it live, feel free to submit questions ahead of time in THIS thread! 

• Like 1