RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Live AMA with Suzi Pratt

alpha-stormy

What's the one tip that helped you improve your photography skills the most?

Don't be afraid to experiment with new gear and techniques, but don't do it on a client shoot! I made this mistake early on and all it did was stress me out. It's best to try new gear and techniques out on our personal projects or when a client isn't involved.

• Like 1

What do you use to edit and publish video you use for your Youtube camera comparisons.

I started out on Final Cut Pro and used it until early this year, when I switched over the DaVinci Resolve. I mainly switched b/c my husband also uses Resolve, so the idea is we can tandem edit better this way. But I've preferred Resolve so much more over Final Cut. It has way more tools

• Like 1

What do you use to edit and publish video you use for your Youtube camera comparisons.

For camera comparisons in particular, I have some plugins from Motion VFX that was really sped up my workflow. I think these plugins work for Final Cut, Resolve, and Premiere. For publishing, I just upload directly to YouTube!

Out of curiosity.... how did you get into vlogging?

I have a YT video on that topic, but it's all about practice. The more you do it, the easier it gets. I always try to envision a close friend behind the camera and try to speak as if it's a conversation. That's one way to get over that initial awkwardness of talking to a camera.

• Like 1

Yes, if there are any MotioinVFX she uses for a particular purpose it would be helpful just to think through workflows. There are so many plugins.

Specifically, I use mTutorial. It has a bunch of titles, effects, generators, etc, but they all relate to creating tutorials (and product reviews), which is mainly what I do on YouTube. So choosing plugins based on your end goal is definitely the best way to start.

Suzi, would love to see you do a video on workflow from start to finish. Starting with how and where you save and organize your files. (Each program wants to do its own thing and create more space hogging files. And How do you back up and archive. Most of us are to the point just the laptop is not enough, and fear even an external drive is not safe. One on photography and one on video. Wish they all could just be Apple Cloud so sharing was so much easier. Thanks again.