RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Live AMA with Niah Aldrich

What would you tell others who are thinking about getting into studio lighting but aren't sure where to start?

For a hands on approach If you have some photographers if your local area that you look up to, and shoot flash I would ask them what they're using, and if they would help you learn. Also attending a workshop can be very valuable. There is also a platform I like to call "youtube university". So many great educational videos explaining the process as well from setting up to in studio and on location. Eli Infante photography & Lindsay Adler are some of my favorites.

What would you tell others who are thinking about getting into studio lighting but aren't sure where to start?

Since you're asking me my suggestion for someone starting out in studio is this kit.

It comes with my favorite 7ft umbrella, defuser, a powerful light that i use personally on the daily for indoors and outdoors, and a light stand. Now you wouldn't want to take the 7ft umbrella out doors it'll blow away and break. I would suggest a 36inch soft box which is also great for in studio.