RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Hannah Rheaume

alpha-stormy

Could contain: Plant, Tree, Conifer, Fir, Larch, Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Mountain, Mountain Range

Hannah Rheaume (@Hannah) is a Washington based landscape and travel photographer who is deeply passionate about community and education. You can check out some of her work on her instagram.

Hannah will be participating in a text based AMA here on the forums on February 21st from 2-4pm PT! Hannah will be answering any questions about landscape and travel photography, working with commercial clients, gear, editing, and building community around your photography work. We'd love to have you join us for the AMA. 

We’re excited to have Hannah Rheaume in the community for this live AMA today. Please be patient, as Hannah will be typing responses out as questions come in. Hannah is here today to answer questions you may have about landscape and travel photography, working with commercial clients, gear, editing, and building community around your photography work. Hannah will be replying in real time today, so please be patient!

Hi! My name is Hannah Rheaume – I am a photographer and filmmaker with a focus on travel and outdoors content. I also host a podcast and an online community, “Women and the Wilderness,” focused on sharing inspiring stories of nature and women.
  • Like 1

I’ve been a full-time content creator for nearly a decade and over that time I’ve honed my photography skills, worked with countless brands, and learned many lessons on navigating this career field. You’re welcome to check out some of my work on my instagram (@hannahrheaume). I will be typing these answers in real time, I’m excited to answer your questions!
  • Like 1

Let's start things off with some questions that came in to Hannah via Instagram. What was your biggest resource that got you started (mentor, platform, book...)?

I have always considered myself "creative" but it took a while to find what it was that satiated that creativity. It wasn't until after college that I realized that "thing" was photography. I had the unique opportunity to come up when Instagram was still photo focused.

Being on the app gave me access to photographers and publications like National Geographic, Conde Nast Traveler and Travel & Leisure in a paywall free structure. So seeing others work on the app really gave me the courage to share my own. Through the wild west of Instagram I won a contest.

And I traveled to Hong Kong and Thailand with a complete stranger - this trip changed everything. I'd never experienced anything quite like it as it was my first time out of the country. It was my first chance at travel photography and I was hooked from day one.

I'd say those earlier years were definitely fueled and inspired by those online publications and access to a bunch of different photographers. And while I do cringe, ha, at those older photos I know without them and without those experiences I wouldn't be where I am today.

Hi Hannah! Im curious, how do you create images that differ from classic shots of famous places?

Hi!! Thanks for joining 🙂 I think one of my favorite things about photography is just that: going to a place that's so popular and putting my own spin on it. I rely heavily on the place I'm in and really take it in.

I try to find different vantage points and compositions, I take a few shots, switch up where I am and take a few more. And I'll do this almost everywhere, when I have the time.

The unique thing about photography is that no one will ever have your exact perspective because we all view the world differently. We come from different backgrounds, lived experiences & have different interests -- all of our art, all of our photos, will be different. And that's what I lean into.

• Like 2

Question from Instagram: Best advice for a photographer getting into the biz?

Just get out and take photos. Practice as much as you can with the gear you have. Play with compositions, light and depth of field. And challenge yourself - go out in bad weather, when the lighting isn’t ideal and when you don’t feel like it. Seek inspiration from a bunch of different places.

For me, I love cinema, magazines, music, museums, documentaries and sometimes just the place I am actually in. Oh and – you’ve got this!

• Like 2

Question from Instagram: Are you self taught?!

Aside from YouTube University 😂 I am fully self taught. I didn’t go to film or photography school and learned everything from just throwing myself into taking photos. I forced myself to shoot manual pretty early on. From which, came a lot of terrible photos. But I learned a lot from all of those mistakes and never made them again. But I am very grateful for all of the free resources out there that helped shepherd me into the photographer I am today. Sometimes you just have to pave your own way and forgo the traditional one.

• Haha 1

How do you market yourself and start working with brands?

I started by creating the content in the industry I wanted to be in. So for me, that was travel. I went around Maine, where I'm from and lived at the time, and with any free time I had I would create content centered around travel. It wasn't the most exciting thing ever but I was able to see a lot of Maine and see it through a new lens. I knew I needed to create a portfolio before I could pitch any brands and that's what I was doing through traveling in my own state. Putting a travelers spin on a place I knew so well.

Try and find exactly what it is that excites you in the world of content creation and create a portfolio with the means you have now! And once you have this sort of proof of concept -- you can build a pitch deck and media kit to share with brands you want to work with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you have a favorite platform to work with/create content for?

Hi! Thanks for being here. For photos, it will always be Instagram. I just wish the aspect ratio would change so that it could be the full image. It's been fun to post the uncropped versions of my photos on Threads, too.

For video, YouTube. I love long form video and started posting regularly over there too! Don't get me wrong, Reels are fun but there's something so satisfying about a 16x9 video. Feels more lifelike to me.

• Like 2

How do you adapt to changes in algorithms or trends on various content platforms?

Hi! Thanks for being here. I think the thing with algorithms is that we've (as creators) put a lot of importance on it. We worry so much about performance, when we post, trending audio, SEO -- sometimes to the point where it starts dictating our art. And we're not longer posting what we truly want to.

Of course, there are some trends that make sense to join in on and I'll do the trends when that's the case. But I would rather a video or photo not perform well and be super stoked on it than to post a bunch of high performing videos that didn’t really feel “true” to who I am.

Do I want as many people as possible to see my work because I'm proud of it and think it would resonate? Of course. As an artist that’s one of our greatest hopes - that it resonates with others. But do I need it to? Absolutely not.

Making this mindset shift was the best thing I ever did for myself.

• Like 2