RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Autumn Schrock + Nate Luebbe

What are some safety considerations or ethical guidelines you follow in your wildlife photography?

First things first, I make sure to know what types of animals I can expect to encounter where I'll be going. Then, I'll try to stay as far away from the animal and to be as invisible to the animal as possible. The last thing that I want to do is disturb or harm a creature with my presence. I think following...

• Like 1

What are some safety considerations or ethical guidelines you follow in your wildlife photography?

... all Leave No Trace principles is very important any time you're outside as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But on a more serious note, it's important to understand the animal you're photographing. Knowing their behavioral tendencies will make for better photos, but also safer photography. Understand what food they're looking for so you aren't in the way, and if it's springtime do they have babies?

• Like 1

I think your decisions should ALWAYS focus on safety first and "getting the shot" second. Lots of photographers get over excited and flip those around, and that's when bad things happen. Even a deer can kill you if it feels threatened enough.

• Like 1

My #1 priority is to be as minimally invasive as possible. I want the animal to not even notice I'm there - the photos are better because the behavior is more natural, but then I'm also not disturbing their habitat and life, which is the single most important thing to me as a conservationist.

• Like 2