RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Autumn Schrock + Nate Luebbe

Hey! I might have missed this question, but what gear is needed for solar eclipse photography? Mainly gear you wouldn't think to bring?

I don't think you missed it, so all good! This is a great question. Bare minimum you'll need a camera, lens, battery, memory card, solar filter for your lens(es) and solar glasses for you lenses (eyes!). Beyond that, you could use a tripod if you'd like to track or timelapse the event, or get fancier...

• Like 1

Hey! I might have missed this question, but what gear is needed for solar eclipse photography? Mainly gear you wouldn't think to bring?

... with an EQ tracker. Gear you wouldn't think to bring though, I almost forgot the solar filters for my lenses at the 2017 eclipse! I think people assume that because you can safely look through your viewfinder at the sun on a mirrorless camera (do NOT do this with a DSLR) that you don't need a solar...

• Like 1

...filter, but the sun can very literally melt your lens!

• Like 1

Do you have any recommendations on EQ trackers? I have yet to do the research into them so if you have a good starting point that would be awesome!! Thanks!

It depends on your budget as they can get quite pricey! But Nate and I have the Sky-Watcher HEQ5 and it's pretty awesome