RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Autumn Schrock + Nate Luebbe

this might be more of an astro photography question, but how do you get your stars (or moon/sun) so sharp? Once we're dealing with infinity as a focal length I have a lot of focus issues.

Focusing on the stars is the hardest part of astrophotography I think. Infinity as a focal length for astro has definitely changed over the years. You may notice that when you put your lens's focus at infinity, it gets sharp before you actually reach infinity, and then it gets blurry again at...

• Like 1

For your timelapse, are you planning a landscape timelapse or "just" a solar timelapse? Am I right in thinking if it's a landscape timelapse there would be a LOT of blending? Each partial eclipse image would have to be blended with the totality foreground? Is that totally a manual process or is there a nifty tool that would do that?

Piggy backing on this question - what would be your interval for a landscape timelapse like that? With the difference in exposure/settings between partial and totality, how would you adjust shutter speed/ISO to keep things consistent (since the 180-degree rule is too difficult to maintain)?

Another question from socials: How do you deal with clouds on special eclipse events?

It's a fine line for sure. Thin clouds can be spectacular, while thick clouds can ruin the whole thing. Nothing you can really do but put yourself in the best possible spot and hope!

For your timelapse, are you planning a landscape timelapse or "just" a solar timelapse? Am I right in thinking if it's a landscape timelapse there would be a LOT of blending? Each partial eclipse image would have to be blended with the totality foreground? Is that totally a manual process or is there a nifty tool that would do that?

Hah! What's the 180 degree rule?

this might be more of an astro photography question, but how do you get your stars (or moon/sun) so sharp? Once we're dealing with infinity as a focal length I have a lot of focus issues.

... actual infinity. What helps me is using manual focus assist and focus peaking to really be able to see when the stars become the smallest, aka the sharpest, while you're focusing. We can chat more about it next week on our workshop though for sure! It can be tough to describe without actually...

• Like 1

... seeing it in person.

• Like 1

Hey Tyler! Since there won't really be a ton of motion I wouldn't really worry about the 180º rule for the most part, and I'd just shoot it on Aperture Priority (or manually adjust using ISO and shutter speed).

• Like 1

Aperture priority might be your best bet since the camera will automatically adjust the exposure for you all the way through totality so it should keep things pretty hands-off

• Like 1

Gotta love the built in time lapse features on the Alpha bodies - makes things SO easy!

• Like 1

Laura, Like Nate said, it doesn't really apply here, but is more for timelapses with a lot of motion. It deals with getting the settings right to simulate the motion blur you would see naturally with your eyes/with cinematic video frame rates.

@ L'aura - the 180º shutter rule is for video. You generally want your exposure duration to be 50% of the interval between frames. So if your video is 30 FPS then you want your shutter speed to be 1/60s. For timelapses that means if you're doing a photo every 5 seconds then you want a 2.5s exposure

• Thanks 1

Nate if you need an interesting subject in Texas. I'll volunteer ;) ha

What are some safety considerations or ethical guidelines you follow in your wildlife photography?

First things first, I make sure to know what types of animals I can expect to encounter where I'll be going. Then, I'll try to stay as far away from the animal and to be as invisible to the animal as possible. The last thing that I want to do is disturb or harm a creature with my presence. I think following...

• Like 1

What are some safety considerations or ethical guidelines you follow in your wildlife photography?

... all Leave No Trace principles is very important any time you're outside as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But on a more serious note, it's important to understand the animal you're photographing. Knowing their behavioral tendencies will make for better photos, but also safer photography. Understand what food they're looking for so you aren't in the way, and if it's springtime do they have babies?

• Like 1

Could you elaborate on your shooting process while using an equatorial mount? i.e. using guiding software or manually adjusting your setting as it progresses?

That's amazing!! What a great gift. Crossing my fingers for clear weather for all of us!

I think your decisions should ALWAYS focus on safety first and "getting the shot" second. Lots of photographers get over excited and flip those around, and that's when bad things happen. Even a deer can kill you if it feels threatened enough.

• Like 1

My #1 priority is to be as minimally invasive as possible. I want the animal to not even notice I'm there - the photos are better because the behavior is more natural, but then I'm also not disturbing their habitat and life, which is the single most important thing to me as a conservationist.

• Like 2

Question from socials: What's your go-to camera for shooting eclipses?

We both have the Sony A1 and it's still my favorite camera I've ever owned. But (and I apologize if this is cheesy), the best camera is the one you have with you! I photographed the last eclipse on the A7 II and it was fantastic! Any camera will do a great job, but I would definitely recommend a nice lens.

• Like 1

Hey! I might have missed this question, but what gear is needed for solar eclipse photography? Mainly gear you wouldn't think to bring?

I don't think you missed it, so all good! This is a great question. Bare minimum you'll need a camera, lens, battery, memory card, solar filter for your lens(es) and solar glasses for you lenses (eyes!). Beyond that, you could use a tripod if you'd like to track or timelapse the event, or get fancier...

• Like 1