RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Autumn Schrock + Nate Luebbe

if you could go to the moon (on someone else's dime) and photograph, I guess it would have to be a lunar eclipse (earth blocking sun) would you? *sorry, now I'm really reaching

NOW we're talking!! But yeah i guess if you were on the moon it would still be a solar eclipse but with the earth doing the blocking.

• Like 1

if you could go to the moon (on someone else's dime) and photograph, I guess it would have to be a lunar eclipse (earth blocking sun) would you? *sorry, now I'm really reaching

It is a pretty fortunate coincidence that from our perspective here on Earth that the lunar disc and solar disc are approximately the same size, so much so that we get to see solar eclipses. That's a very lucky coincidence that does NOT happen on every planet.

• Like 1

Hey! I might have missed this question, but what gear is needed for solar eclipse photography? Mainly gear you wouldn't think to bring?

... with an EQ tracker. Gear you wouldn't think to bring though, I almost forgot the solar filters for my lenses at the 2017 eclipse! I think people assume that because you can safely look through your viewfinder at the sun on a mirrorless camera (do NOT do this with a DSLR) that you don't need a solar...

• Like 1

Hey! I might have missed this question, but what gear is needed for solar eclipse photography? Mainly gear you wouldn't think to bring?

...filter, but the sun can very literally melt your lens!

• Like 1

Earth is just shy of 4x the diameter of the moon, so there's a chance an eclipse viewed from the moon would just be pure blackness.

• Like 1

I've seen some folks suggest shooting people's reactions to the eclipse rather than shooting the eclipse itself if you don't have a solar filter. How do you feel about unique/alternate approaches to eclipse photography?
  • Like 1

I WILL WALK ON THE MOON ONE DAY

• Like 2

Oh I just realized also I never answered the question. Yes I would go to the moon in a heartbeat, this afternoon, without even saying goodbye to anyone, if the opportunity arose.

I've seen some folks suggest shooting people's reactions to the eclipse rather than shooting the eclipse itself if you don't have a solar filter. How do you feel about unique/alternate approaches to eclipse photography?

I'm not sure how to say this without sounding like a weirdo, but I am in general....not interested in photographing people. BUT, if you like people photography then that's a fun option! You don't need a solar filter during totality though, for what it's worth.

That's totally fair. Thanks so much!

• Like 1

What's the biggest challenge you face when shooting an eclipse?

I think the biggest challenge is generally the weather, but Nate's answer about the timelapse and when to switch the filter is definitely up there. I remember panicking about making the filter switch at the 2017 total solar eclipse lol

OOo! That's a great idea, @AndrewNeary! Thanks for bringing it up!

What are some common mistakes beginners make in astrophotography, and how can they be avoided?

I think the biggest mistake is having too long of a shutter speed. People tend to get scared away from high ISO and then shoot with a 30s (or longer) shutter speed and then you have star trails rather than crisp stars.