RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Autumn Schrock + Nate Luebbe

What are some common mistakes beginners make in astrophotography, and how can they be avoided?

Exposure, whether it's over or under; accidentally getting star trails by using too long of a shutter speed; out of focus stars (focusing is the hardest part I think!); and composition. We get so excited when we see the Milky Way for the first time that we end up just pointing our camera at...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What would you say to someone interested in starting conservation photography? Could you speak a bit to the storytelling that may be involved?

I think the easiest way to get in is to volunteer your time and photography skills. Lots of conservation orgs are in dire need of photo/video and are desperately low on funds, so donating your photos is a huge help vs trying to pitch them to fund your trip.

What would you say to someone interested in starting conservation photography? Could you speak a bit to the storytelling that may be involved?

As for the storytelling, that's complicated and subject dependent, but the most important part is to make it relatable. Your average person knows that polar bears are endangered, but why should someone living in Chicago care about a bear 3,000 miles away?

You need to find a way to tell the story in a way that matters to people who aren't connected to the issue. Explain why this affects them and why they should care/do something about it. It's not always easy to find that thread, but it's mandatory in my opinion.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm emailing my local conservation authority now! Excellent points. Thank you 😊

• Like 1

I'm fairly new to photography....I own an a7IV and use a 200-600 to shoot the moon....Could you explain/share what settings are best to shoot the moon with? And for a lunar eclipse?

That's a great gear setup for shooting the moon! Settings-wise, it definitely depends on the phase of the moon and whether or not it's an environmental shot, meaning there's a landscape included, or just a silhouette of the moon...

Question from socials: How do you pack and fly with gear?

My personal preference is to keep all my gear in my backpack (I use a Shimoda 50L), so that even if my suitcase gets lost I still have my cameras. I can buy new shoes/clothes no matter where I'm going, but a replacement for a Sony 100-400 is a little harder to come by.

I'm fairly new to photography....I own an a7IV and use a 200-600 to shoot the moon....Could you explain/share what settings are best to shoot the moon with? And for a lunar eclipse?

... I personally will usually stop down one or two stops to make sure the moon is extra sharp, use a shutter speed that is at least 1/250s (as the moon moves quite quickly), and as low of an ISO as I can.

• Like 1

Hey! I might have missed this question, but what gear is needed for solar eclipse photography? Mainly gear you wouldn't think to bring?

Do you have any recommendations on EQ trackers? I have yet to do the research into them so if you have a good starting point that would be awesome!! Thanks!

I just recorded a moon photography video in the Tetons not too long ago! It may help to give you some additional guidance 🙂

• Like 1

Hey! I might have missed this question, but what gear is needed for solar eclipse photography? Mainly gear you wouldn't think to bring?

It depends on your budget as they can get quite pricey! But Nate and I have the Sky-Watcher HEQ5 and it's pretty awesome

I need to leave but want to thank you Autumn and Nate! You two always offer so much and have such a great vibe! And thanks also Jessica for your great moderation!

Aww, thank you, L'aura! Thanks so much for popping in!

Thank you so much Autumn!!!

Question from socials: How do you balance experiencing a place firsthand with capturing it through your lens?

I love this question. I typically feel a range of emotions when I drive up to a place, depending on why I'm at said location. Excitement, pure awe, stress (if it's a client shoot), pressure to create something great. But then once I'm out there in nature, it all kind of melts into happiness. It makes me..

• Like 1

Question from socials: How do you balance experiencing a place firsthand with capturing it through your lens?

..realize why I love what I do and how important it is to take in a place with my body, my eyes as well as my viewfinder. We live on the most magnificent planet, and in the age of "content creation" it can be difficult to truly appreciate what we have on Earth. I've gotten to a place where I shoot a little...