RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Autumn Schrock + Nate Luebbe

Question from socials: How do you balance experiencing a place firsthand with capturing it through your lens?

... and then I make sure to put my camera down and fully take in the environment. This also helps me to see things that I may have missed while initially shooting as well!

Question from socials: How do you balance experiencing a place firsthand with capturing it through your lens?

For me, my camera is part of experiencing a place. I genuinely love photography, and figuring out how to frame and capture a scene is one of the things that makes me happiest. I don't stress about "seeing it with my eyes" vs through the viewfinder because I'm living my life to the fullest regardless.

• Like 2

I'm fairly new to photography....I own an a7IV and use a 200-600 to shoot the moon....Could you explain/share what settings are best to shoot the moon with? And for a lunar eclipse?

Of course! Happy to help!

• Like 2

What are your guys day to day look like? Going outside, writing emails, editing, hanging with the cat's or playing video games?

But yes literally! I start my day with exercise (sometimes gym, sometimes climb a mountain with skis on my back), then send some emails/edit (depending on where I am in a project), the cats never leave me alone so always that a little bit, and then we wind down with Netflix/games!

• Like 2

What are your guys day to day look like? Going outside, writing emails, editing, hanging with the cat's or playing video games?

I'm a night owl, so mornings are tough for me. I couldn't go to the gym in the morning if my life depended on it XD I usually play a chill video game while I sip on tea to wake up, then do editing/emails/etc. Like Nate said, the kitties are obsessed with us, so one of us always has one or both on our lap/chest

• Like 2

I appreciate all the questions and answers everyone gave always love seeing photographers sharing and supporting! I need to run but thanks for putting this on y'all!

Thanks so much for hopping on! :)

How do you balance post's on social media? I always get caught in the idea of "Bangers only" But I feel like that hasn't worked for me. And if you have any tips on getting your work seen?

I totally understand that night owl life!

How do you balance post's on social media? I always get caught in the idea of "Bangers only" But I feel like that hasn't worked for me. And if you have any tips on getting your work seen?

I'm still in the mode of "Bangers only" for Instagram at least. I want to share my best work there and I don't want to succumb to the dumb trend of low-effort iphone videos for engagement. I am a photographer/videographer so I want to share the highest quality work I possibly can.

• Like 1

Other platforms are a better fit for more informal posting styles, but I still try to center my online-identity around my work as an artist.

Truthfully, I'm not great at balancing social media posts. I love sharing my work and making friends online, but as an introvert, I get burned out from social interactions really quickly. I'm trying to be better about posting regularly on all of the platforms, but I agree with Nate.

I also share "bangers only" for the most part on all of my platforms, but I do like how Threads and Twitter allow for a more conversational interaction rather than just images being the focus. As far as tips for getting your work seen, that's mostly why I follow the "bangers only" approach. I want to...

... put my best work out there for the next person who stumbles upon my account.

• Like 1

So aside from social media what's another best practice for sharing work?