RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Cristina Mittermeier

Alpha-Universe-BTS-Photo-By-Cristina-Mittermeier.thumb.webp.8375cc16fe3b681b370e8985fccf3a17.webp

Cristina Mittermeier is a conservation photographer, Sony Artisan Imagery and co-founder of SeaLegacy who uses her passion for photography to influence the fate of our planet’s natural resources. You can check out some of her work on Instagram and check out the crowdfunding page for her new book, Hope here.

Cristina will be participating in a text-based AMA here on the forums on April 10th from 2-3pm ET.

Cristina will be happy to answer questions about conservation photography, storytelling, the type of gear she uses, travel preparation and so much more.

We’re excited to have Cristina in the community for this live AMA today! This is a great time to connect with Cristina on her work, learn about her approaches to conservation photography and how she got to the level she is at today. Please be patient as Cristina will be typing our responses as questions come in.

Do you have advice for a newbie looking to become a conservation photographer?

I absolutely do! Hone your skills as a storyteller. There are many workshops, masterclasses etc. You need to become "a jack-of-all-trades" and be good at video, stills, interviews, candids, etc. Then find an organization that inspires you and volunteer. Its all in my Masterclass!

• Like 1

Why have you chosen hope as a theme and title for your new book?

I chose HOPE because on the days when I am feeling a little overwhelmed or depressed by the state of the world, I know I have the choice to shift my mindset to Hopefulness. I focus on something positive, reach out to my community, and make the choice of feeling more Hopeful. It is a great motivator!

• Like 1

I saw you’re crowdfunding for a new book! Is that a model you think would work for other photographers?

Hello! It is becoming increasingly hard for photographers to publish beautiful coffee table books. Publishing houses are struggling and therefore, the opportunities are fewer and as artists, we often lose control of the process as publishers try to maximize profits.

I started conversations with Hemeria, and we came up with the idea of leaning on my followers and the people who like my work to support this book. It is a new model, for sure, but so far, the response has been incredible.

I think that by doing it this way, I am building a sense of community, not just around HOPE but around artists who can support each other. I can buy your book and help you reach your goal, and you can support mine too. It is very uplifting.

At the end of the day, I will have the exact book I love and not the book the publisher thinks will sell at the highest profit.

These days, in order to break into conservation photography and storytelling are individuals required to have formal education in conservation/biology/wildlife management etc. or is this sort of changing?

How much editing do you typically do? Can you talk about the typical sliders you play with when editing?

Hello! I try to save time by shooting images that are as finished as possible "in camera". I try to not live my life in front of a computer, so clean sensors, an understanding of white balance, cropping in camera, all help

How much editing do you typically do? Can you talk about the typical sliders you play with when editing?

After that, I edit in Lightroom, and I use the same controls as everyone else: contrast, tonality, etc. Underwater is a different ballgame because I have to deal with backscatter, color correction, etc., so I often edit in Photoshop, and it takes a lot longer... also, fish don't like to pose, so I have a smaller success rate. Its tough work!!

These days, in order to break into conservation photography and storytelling are individuals required to have formal education in conservation/biology/wildlife management etc. or is this sort of changing?

I don't think you need a formal education, but you need to become incredibly knowledgeable. Studying the issues you want to photograph, understanding the root causes, the solutions, the players, the culprits, etc., is all part of chasing a moving target.

• Like 1

I often feel like I have a base knowledge of issues like climate, whaling, or industrial fishing, and then I have to dig into the science, the experts, and the University of Google to learn more. Every issue is its own PhD and you need to become a qualified part of the conversation. That doesn't mean you have to spend 5 years in university.

• Like 2

If you had to choose one camera and lens to use for everything, what would it be and why??

I have always been a minimalist when it comes to equipment. I always want the best file I can get (after all, sometimes you only get one chance, so you want to get a file that will endure the test of time) and I love a lens that multitasks, like a zoom lens

If you had to choose one camera and lens to use for everything, what would it be and why??

These days, I am toggling the A1 because it is so fast and smart, especially underwater and for wildlife, and the A7R5 because it gives me such a large, beautiful file. I use them both, and I try to carry only a handful of lenses that I know how to maximize well.

• Like 1

What separates a nature photograph from a conservation photograph? How do you make an impact with images?

This is my favorite question. A nature photographer is merely documenting nature and wildlife. A conservation photographer takes those images and makes sure they are put in front of the people who make decisions, change policy, and have influence.

• Like 1