RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Cristina Mittermeier

These days, in order to break into conservation photography and storytelling are individuals required to have formal education in conservation/biology/wildlife management etc. or is this sort of changing?

These days, in order to break into conservation photography and storytelling are individuals required to have formal education in conservation/biology/wildlife management etc. or is this sort of changing?

I don't think you need a formal education, but you need to become incredibly knowledgeable. Studying the issues you want to photograph, understanding the root causes, the solutions, the players, the culprits, etc., is all part of chasing a moving target.

• Like 1

I often feel like I have a base knowledge of issues like climate, whaling, or industrial fishing, and then I have to dig into the science, the experts, and the University of Google to learn more. Every issue is its own PhD and you need to become a qualified part of the conversation. That doesn't mean you have to spend 5 years in university.

• Like 2

Thank you! Do you think entering a mentorship would be a good place to start? When it comes to conservation storytelling I feel like there's a lot to learn in terms of effective communication on the topic you're passionate about.

Absolutely! I have mentored many people and finally realized I will never have enough time, SO instead, I recorded almost 50 lessons with Masters of Photography with everything I know. I hope it is a good replacement for mentorship.

• Like 1

Amazing! I will check it out. Thanks for blazing this path for so many of us.