RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Cristina Mittermeier

Hello Cristina. Thank you for your time and insights today. I'm curious, when talking with indigenous individuals/communities about your work do you find that they use the term "conservation" -- or even understand it -- in the same way you're using it? For 25 years I've dedicated my career to land-based "conservation" -- and I would say in the last 10 years, as I grow more intimate with my indigenous ancestors (Mesoamerican and Cherokee), I find myself using that word less.
  • Like 1

Hello Cristina. Thank you for your time and insights today. I'm curious, when talking with indigenous individuals/communities about your work do you find that they use the term "conservation" -- or even understand it -- in the same way you're using it? For 25 years I've dedicated my career to land-based "conservation" -- and I would say in the last 10 years, as I grow more intimate with my indigenous ancestors (Mesoamerican and Cherokee), I find myself using that word less.

This is such a great question. I have found that the idea of "conservation" or "sustainability" is pretty alien to indigenous communities. For them, the correct mindset is one of guardianship.

• Like 2

Indigenous people most often do not feel separate or superior to nature and the resources they depend on, and they are not driven by greed, arrogance or exceptionalism.

• Like 1

When you observe behavior, you notice there is a tacit understanding that the well-being of all depends on everyone being accountable and respecting the limits of resources that serve many.

• Like 1

I would love to know what you think and how these ideas resonate, or not, with you. I myself have some indigenous heritage but that, of course, doesn't give me any special insight. Just a gut feeling and observation.

• Like 1

Everything you wrote completely resonates with me, and has been my experience. Since I was a child, I knew and "felt" I was part of the nonhuman world around me, but I wasn't raised in a cultural setting that supported that. It took a lifetime to learn this was not "in my head", but real.

In learning from indigenous/First Peoples I've met the more authentic part of myself - the one who feels at home tending, being a guardian (not an owner), and being in relationship with the nonhuman world that is grounded in the 5R's. It's put me at a crossroads in my professional career, though.

I'm finding so much commonality, and incredible inspiration, from you and Paul through your Sealegacy videos. It's helping me navigate these questions of myself, and think about how I can best move forward for me and my passions and work - what I have to offer.