RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Cristina Mittermeier

What separates a nature photograph from a conservation photograph? How do you make an impact with images?

Levers can be anything and often include issues around poverty, war, greed, ignorance.....it almost always is a mix of these, but the real art of the conservation photographer is thinking through the story and imagining how to change the outcome. And then, of course, finding allies, becoming a diplomat, a translator, an advocate.

I saw you in the Disney+ show!! Do you get scared when you’re shooting with such huge animals? How did your photography journey start?

I would be lying if I told you I don't get scared. Big animals can be scary, but you are also at the mercy of the elements, or working in isolated locations, far from help. Easy stories can be told by anyone, hard stories are scary and hard. So when I feel a little scared, I know I am in the right place.

• Like 3

Hello Cristina. Thank you for your time and insights today. I'm curious, when talking with indigenous individuals/communities about your work do you find that they use the term "conservation" -- or even understand it -- in the same way you're using it? For 25 years I've dedicated my career to land-based "conservation" -- and I would say in the last 10 years, as I grow more intimate with my indigenous ancestors (Mesoamerican and Cherokee), I find myself using that word less.
  • Like 1

Hello Cristina. Thank you for your time and insights today. I'm curious, when talking with indigenous individuals/communities about your work do you find that they use the term "conservation" -- or even understand it -- in the same way you're using it? For 25 years I've dedicated my career to land-based "conservation" -- and I would say in the last 10 years, as I grow more intimate with my indigenous ancestors (Mesoamerican and Cherokee), I find myself using that word less.

This is such a great question. I have found that the idea of "conservation" or "sustainability" is pretty alien to indigenous communities. For them, the correct mindset is one of guardianship.

• Like 2

Indigenous people most often do not feel separate or superior to nature and the resources they depend on, and they are not driven by greed, arrogance or exceptionalism.

• Like 1

When you observe behavior, you notice there is a tacit understanding that the well-being of all depends on everyone being accountable and respecting the limits of resources that serve many.

• Like 1

I would love to know what you think and how these ideas resonate, or not, with you. I myself have some indigenous heritage but that, of course, doesn't give me any special insight. Just a gut feeling and observation.

• Like 1

I saw you in the Disney+ show!! Do you get scared when you’re shooting with such huge animals? How did your photography journey start?

Thank you, Cristina! I can't wait to see more of your work, and I'm so excited about your book. Good luck.

Yes, guardianship. And "tending". And being in relationship guided by the 5 R's - have you come across cultures that refer to the 5 R's? Relationship. Respect. Reverence. Reciprocity. Responsibility.

Absolutely. Rarely is it written or codified and most often is oral history, ritual and ceremony that informs these 5 "r"s but almost inevitably, they are all there

• Like 1

I see that with your new book, some proceeds will go to support the people featured in the book. How does this work? I also love the fact that supporters of the crowdfunding project, will have their names listed in the book. I love the sense of collaboration and unity to creates. We are all a part of it.

How do you build and audience and then engage them enough to take action?

To become excellent, you need to practice, learn what your voice is, and then take ownership of that voice. People gravitate towards authenticity and genuine expertise. Share of yourself and of your knowledge

• Like 2

How do you build and audience and then engage them enough to take action?

And most importantly, admit when you don't know something, when your ideas have not worked exactly the way you hoped, and have the courage to try again. It took me 20 years to get there, so the most important thing I can tell you is to be patient and to be kind to yourself.

• Like 2

What made you choose Sony?

I became one of the first Artisans and over the years I have helped Sony in making better cameras. I love that they often ask me and almost always honor my suggestions. More than anything, I love that Sony Alpha is genuinely interested in my work, they support my passion and they have become my family.

I see that with your new book, some proceeds will go to support the people featured in the book. How does this work? I also love the fact that supporters of the crowdfunding project, will have their names listed in the book. I love the sense of collaboration and unity to creates. We are all a part of it.

Yes! This is an awesome question. Thanks for asking it. Many of the places I travel to are remote and, oftentimes, extremely isolated. Communities living on the edge of biodiversity are already suffering the effects of climate and extinction

Quite often there are no NGOs or government institutions to channel help through, BUT I feel very strongly about giving back, so I find creative ways to make sure something goes back to the communities. I work with other visitors, your operators, etc

• Like 1

These days, in order to break into conservation photography and storytelling are individuals required to have formal education in conservation/biology/wildlife management etc. or is this sort of changing?

Thank you! Do you think entering a mentorship would be a good place to start? When it comes to conservation storytelling I feel like there's a lot to learn in terms of effective communication on the topic you're passionate about.

I have even leaned on the drivers that have taken me places to send things back. I was recently in the Omo Valley, and the level of need is massive. I am sending money with a friend of mine from Mexico who is traveling there as a tourist. She will buy supplies and take give them to the women