RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Cristina Mittermeier

I see that with your new book, some proceeds will go to support the people featured in the book. How does this work? I also love the fact that supporters of the crowdfunding project, will have their names listed in the book. I love the sense of collaboration and unity to creates. We are all a part of it.

I don't like just handling money because it is often misused, but women are eager to help their own community, the children, the less fortunate. Sometimes just soap or pencils, or reading glasses make a huge difference.

Hello Cristina. Thank you for your time and insights today. I'm curious, when talking with indigenous individuals/communities about your work do you find that they use the term "conservation" -- or even understand it -- in the same way you're using it? For 25 years I've dedicated my career to land-based "conservation" -- and I would say in the last 10 years, as I grow more intimate with my indigenous ancestors (Mesoamerican and Cherokee), I find myself using that word less.

Everything you wrote completely resonates with me, and has been my experience. Since I was a child, I knew and "felt" I was part of the nonhuman world around me, but I wasn't raised in a cultural setting that supported that. It took a lifetime to learn this was not "in my head", but real.

Hello Cristina. You're such an inspiration, let me tell you that first. Now, I've been in Turin for the last months and I just saw that they're doing a photographic exhibition of your work and I was really happy to see that, planning to go with my wife and daughter. Now, I'd like to know, how do you manage the fear, anxiety and curiosity when working in these enviroments you usually work? As an astrophotographer, I sometimes get those feeling when I'm along in the mountains.

Hello Cristina. Thank you for your time and insights today. I'm curious, when talking with indigenous individuals/communities about your work do you find that they use the term "conservation" -- or even understand it -- in the same way you're using it? For 25 years I've dedicated my career to land-based "conservation" -- and I would say in the last 10 years, as I grow more intimate with my indigenous ancestors (Mesoamerican and Cherokee), I find myself using that word less.

In learning from indigenous/First Peoples I've met the more authentic part of myself - the one who feels at home tending, being a guardian (not an owner), and being in relationship with the nonhuman world that is grounded in the 5R's. It's put me at a crossroads in my professional career, though.

How long did it take you to master the technical aspects of photography?

You need to practice until your fingers speak the language of the camera, without you having to think about it. only then will your creative mind be free to start doing something artistic. I promise that the struggle will go away with practice!

I'm finding so much commonality, and incredible inspiration, from you and Paul through your Sealegacy videos. It's helping me navigate these questions of myself, and think about how I can best move forward for me and my passions and work - what I have to offer.

These days, in order to break into conservation photography and storytelling are individuals required to have formal education in conservation/biology/wildlife management etc. or is this sort of changing?

Absolutely! I have mentored many people and finally realized I will never have enough time, SO instead, I recorded almost 50 lessons with Masters of Photography with everything I know. I hope it is a good replacement for mentorship.

• Like 1

Hello Cristina. You're such an inspiration, let me tell you that first. Now, I've been in Turin for the last months and I just saw that they're doing a photographic exhibition of your work and I was really happy to see that, planning to go with my wife and daughter. Now, I'd like to know, how do you manage the fear, anxiety and curiosity when working in these enviroments you usually work? As an astrophotographer, I sometimes get those feeling when I'm along in the mountains.

What a great question. Yes! I was honored by Galeria D'Italia with a solo exhibition in their new museum in Torino. I feel like this is an important space for photography as it is dedicated to elevating photography as an art form. I hope many other photographers will be able to show their work there!!

• Like 1

How long did it take you to master the technical aspects of photography?

Thank you. I can't wait to begin your Masters of Photography class. I'm blessed with equipment (gifts from my wife), passion and patience - I just need guidance and practice.

As to fear, I absolutely feel scared sometimes. Entering the ocean in remote places, where the currents are big, there is no support around, and diving in places that have never been explored before can be really frightening.

• Like 1

I have made peace with the idea, that at almost 60, I am entering the last part of my life, and if I die in my work, I would be okay with that. I have had such a full life and I am so lucky to have a career that gives me so much.

• Like 1

The only thing that would scare me would be to have a boring death OR a life lived without purpose or meaning. being afraid is a good thing,...it pushes us to pay attention, to be present, to recognize how small and vulnerable we are. it teaches us humility and mindfulness.

• Like 1

Don't be afraid of your own fear...use it to elevate your art!

• Like 1

When did you know conservation photography was your calling, and how did you get started with making an impact?

Almost from the beginning. I recognized that photography, for photography's sake, was not going to be enough for me. I did not know it was going to become a lifelong pursuit and such an important part of my life but it truly has grounded my work and my reason for living.

These days, in order to break into conservation photography and storytelling are individuals required to have formal education in conservation/biology/wildlife management etc. or is this sort of changing?

Amazing! I will check it out. Thanks for blazing this path for so many of us.

When did you know conservation photography was your calling, and how did you get started with making an impact?

Being good at photography is easier than doing meaningful photography; creating actual change is super hard and cannot be achieved alone. It requires an ability to build community, create relationships and work with others.

At the end of the day, I am really proud to know so many photographers out there are doing conservation photography, becoming part of an army of storytellers for our planet.