RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Katie Steckly

Could contain: Fun, Vacation, Person, Road Trip, Moving Van, Van, Vehicle, Clothing, Coat, Hand

Katie Steckly is a content creator, entrepreneur, podcast host and part time van-lifer. You can check out some of her work on her Instagram.

Katie will be participating in a text based AMA here on the forums on April 16th from 2 to 4pm ET. Katie will be answering any questions you have about gear, the dreaded social algorithms, techniques for growing your accounts, how to make money, editing, and more.

We’re excited to have Katie Steckly in the community for this live AMA. This is a great time to learn and connect with Katie on her work, ask questions about gear, the dreaded social algorithms, techniques for growing your accounts, how to make money, editing, and more. Please be patient, as Katie will be typing responses out as questions come in.
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone! My name is Katie Steckly and I’m a content creator, entrepreneur, podcast host and part time van-lifer passionate about photography, travel and helping creators be the best they can be! I am passionate about sharing what’s helped me be successful on various social media platforms, talking about the good, the bad and the ugly of the world of content creation, as well as sharing my favourite equipment that I use on a day to day basis.

You’re welcome to check out some of my work on my instagram. I will be typing these answers in real time, so excited to be here! 🙂

Let's start things off with a question we got via email! How do you stay updated with industry trends and adapt your content strategy accordingly?

This is huge because it feels like the apps and algorithms are changing all the time. That being said, I really believe that an effective content strategy actually *doesn't* change that much over time. It's all about creating genuinely interesting content that connects with people.

Let's start things off with a question we got via email! How do you stay updated with industry trends and adapt your content strategy accordingly?

So, try not to stress too much about updates or 'algorithm changes' because at the end of the day it's about capturing and maintaining the attention of your viewers. But in terms of keeping up with industry news, I personally love to follow the ICYMI newsletter by Lia Haberman 🙂

Hey Katie! I'd love to know.... How do you stay organized and manage your time effectively as a content creator, especially when juggling multiple projects or platforms?

Hey Katie! I'd love to know.... How do you stay organized and manage your time effectively as a content creator, especially when juggling multiple projects or platforms?

Hi! :) I live by my Notion and Google calendar! My first rule is if I don't write it down, it won't happen - so I try to be really diligent about planning out my work days based on my content goals. I always suggest that creators start with the content they want to post (i.e the end result) and work backwards

• Like 1

So for example, if you want to post a YouTube video - think about all the steps involved (scripting, filming, editing, etc) and then actually schedule out when you will do each step. This helps break it down and make it less overwhelming, and ensures that you can actually get it all done in a week!

So for me personally, I've done that breakdown for all the content I post, and I've planned a weekly schedule I can stick to (Friday is filming day, Monday is editing day, etc) and I just repeat that workflow every week. This helps me stay consistent (and sane lol)

Hey Katie, thanks for being here! I think vlogging would be fun but I always feel so awkward! Do you have any advice for getting over that and being more confident?

Vlogging is so fun! I'll admit in the moment it can definitely feel awkward - but the end result in my opinion is so worth it because you get to re-live your memories for years to come. I'm so grateful to my past self for capturing stuff even though at the time it felt cringey. But okay I've got some tips!

Hey Katie, thanks for being here! I think vlogging would be fun but I always feel so awkward! Do you have any advice for getting over that and being more confident?

Okay my number one rule while vlogging in public is to never vlog standing still. Might seem weird but it seriously helps because you never have to pause in that moment and just have people on the street stare at you while you talk to the camera. You just keep moving and focus on the camera!

Another tip - have a few things in your back pocket that you want to talk about planned in advance. That will also help prevent that awkward pause of not knowing what to say when you pick your camera up.

Finally - I actually find it easier to vlog when I'm with friends than when I'm by myself (I think it's because it feels less like you're walking down the street talking to yourself lol) so if you can practise your vlogging with supportive friends around, that will help get you started!

I actually made a whole YouTube video sharing these tips and more if you want to check it out 🙂

How do you approach collaboration and partnerships with brands or other creators?

Brand deals are a major revenue stream for me - so I feel like I've got a pretty good system down. My brand partnerships all started for one-off opportunities. In almost all cases, it was from brands reaching out to me, because they had seen my content and seen a good fit with my audience and their product

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you approach collaboration and partnerships with brands or other creators?

So, they reach out to me and ask to do a YouTube integration for example. So, we would do one video together, and after seeing that was a success either they would suggest (or sometimes I would pitch to them) to follow it up with a multi-month contract. Usually it's one video per month for 3 months.

It works well for both of us because it's a reliable partnership for me, but it's also a reliable creator / campaign for them! Plus it offers more exposure and brand awareness over time. It's important to me that I do these contracts with brands I truly use and love - and it also makes it easy for me!

In terms of collaborations with other creators, that's something I haven't done a ton of (but would love to do more) For me, this has usually been podcast interviews. This can be a great way to get to know another creator, feature them to your audience, and generate high quality content!

Either way, with any type of collaboration it's important that it stems from a genuine relationship, and a value exchange. It doesn't mean you need to have the exact same number of followers as another creator - but it does mean that both parties get value out of collaborating with one another :)

What advice would you give to aspiring content creators who are just starting out or looking to take their content to the next level?

I think the most important thing for aspiring creators is to find a balance between audience demand and your own creative goals. A lot of us start out creating because we have a specific type of content that we want to make - but that doesn't always align with that viewers are looking for.