RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Hannah Mather

Could contain: Animal, Bee, Honey Bee, Insect, Invertebrate, Wasp, Apidae

Hannah Mather is a photographer, videographer, biologist, beekeeper and Sony Alpha Female+ Grant winner. You can check out some of her work on her instagram.

Hannah will be participating in a text based AMA here on the forums on April 24th from 5-7pm ET!! Hannah will be answering any questions about pollinator and macro photography, gear, editing, and building community around your photography work. 

We’re excited to have Hannah Mather in the community for this live AMA today. Please be patient, as Hannah will be typing responses out as questions come in. Hannah is here today to answer questions you may have about pollinator and macro photography, gear, editing, and building community around your photography work. Hannah will be replying in real time today, so please be patient!
  • Like 2

Hi everyone! I am an Alpha Female+ grant winner, a pollinator photographer, a biologist, and a beekeeper. The Sony Alpha Female grant helped support my initiative called "The Pollinator Project," where I work to document various pollinator species through photography and videography. To do this, I primarily use high speed slow motion techniques to offer a captivating window into the often unnoticed aspects of nature that surround us.

My objective is to encourage people to pause, observe, and recognize the inherent value of the natural world present right in their own backyards, ultimately inspiring a collective effort towards its conservation. You’re welcome to check out some of my work on my instagram (@hannahshonecomb). I will be typing these answers in real time, I’m excited to answer your questions!

To get things started off, here's a question that came in via email: What advice do you have for new macro photographers?

Get curious! There are so many amazing things to see in the tiny macro world. Use the equipment you have access to and get as close as possible. Notice the shapes that can create unique compositions. The more you learn about your subjects, the easier time you'll have capturing them.

• Like 1

Hi Hannah! Thank you so much for being here! I was wondering how do you capture such small insects? I don't really understand it!

The first step is noticing them! Getting low to the ground and holding still allows you to see things you would ordinarily miss. I try to learn the behaviors of the insects I'd like to capture and that makes it easier to find them and anticipate their next moves :)

• Like 2

Hi Hannah! I'd love to know if you're ever scared of being stung?

Thankfully, bees don't want to sting us when they are just out and about foraging on flowers! They're more interested in their task than us. The only times I get stung are when I am working inside of the hive where they can be more defensive, but that just comes with the territory! Practice helps!

Are there any particular challenges or ethical considerations you face when photographing pollinators, and how do you address them?

That's a great question! The main ethical consideration I take into account is the fact that while honeybees are very important to agriculture, they are not native to my area. I try to address this by being as factual as possible and by using honey bees as a gateway to discussing other native bees and

• Like 1

Are there any particular challenges or ethical considerations you face when photographing pollinators, and how do you address them?

insects that need our assistance. Habitat restoration is extremely important to me, so I always try to tie things back to tangible ways we can help.

Thanks for sharing!

I had no idea they weren't native!

How much of your work is with an off camera flash?

None! I know many macro photographers use flash very successfully, but for my purposes I find it a bit burdensome. I prefer to slightly underexpose my photos and use Lightroom to help me bring back the details.

How much editing do you typically do?

My most used sliders are bringing shadows up and highlights slightly down, and then in the color mix section I like to play with each tone individually. Each picture is a bit different as I don't use external light sources so there's no one size fits all!

• Like 1