RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Dane Isaac

Could contain: Railing, Handrail, Person, Path, Walkway, Back, Body Part, Accessories, Bag, HandbagDane Isaac is a New York City-based commercial, portrait and street photographer and a Sony Brand Ambassador. You can check out some of his work on his instagram.

Dane will be participating in a text based AMA here on the forums on May 16th at 6pm ET!! Dane will be answering any questions about commercial, portrait and street photography, working with commercial clients, gear, editing, and lighting. We'd love to have you join us for the AMA.

We’re excited to have Dane Isaac in the community for this live AMA. This is a great time to learn and connect with Dane on his work, ask questions about how he got to the level he is at today and any tips or tricks you’d like to know! Please be patient, as Dane will be typing responses out as questions come in.

Hi! My name is Dane Isaac – I am a New York City-based commercial, portrait, and street photographer who focuses on the usage of light for storytelling. I am also a Sony Brand Ambassador. I’m excited to be here with you today. We can talk about anything including street and portrait photography, lighting, editing, gear, and more. I will be typing these answers in real-time, so please be patient with my responses!

Let's start off with a question that came in via email: Do you ever get nervous approaching people on the street?

Great question! Short answer: yes. I don't approach people on the street as much but if I ever have to I think about icebreakers to help drop the guard of that person. A solid ice breaker is a compliment. (keep is classy)

I'd love to know how you come up with your concepts for portraits?

Hey Etgar, nice to meet you! I try to let the concepts come from the person or people I am shooting. It could be where they are from, their energy, their passions etc

• Like 2

Do you use presets? If so, does it help you stay consistent when editing bigger batches of imagery?

I have a bunch of my presets saved. I reference them when I start a new edit but I like editing from scratch.

Another question from email: How do you attract corporate clients? I would love to build that up more but I don’t know how to get started with companies!

Build up a portfolio of work. Clients would prefer to reference a body of work before they hire you. Instagram counts as a portfolio but it's limited. I would also advise to build a website.

If you could give advice to a creator who is just starting out, what would it be?

Create! The more you experiment the quicker you'd find your voice. Also, become a student of the game and be open to learning new things, forever.

• Like 1