RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

RX0II Saves The Day: The Tiny Camera Allows Access Never Before Possible at an Ordination

pm-r
Go to solution Solved by bjohnson,

I've been a working pro shooter (my sole way of making a living), since I graduated college in 1988.  In all that time, I've had many first time experiences but the older I get, the more seldom they come my way, simply by virtue of my longstanding experience behind the lens.  Yesterday, the RX0II was my champion as another part of my life merged into the photographic side of me.

Could contain: Altar, Architecture, Building, Church, Prayer

In 2007, I was ordained a Deacon in the Catholic Church.  During the week I work on photo and video projects, take assignments, and edit my work like most of you.  But on Sundays, if I'm not traveling, I'm fulfilling my role as a minister on the altar at Catholic Mass in my parish.  

Over the last few months, I got pretty close with a seminarian who came to spend time at my parish, which is on the campus of the University of Tennessee.  Dan is a great guy and I was really moved when he asked me to be present and serve on the altar as a deacon at his ordination Mass in New York City yesterday.  After agreeing to do this for him, I later found out that I would be serving and assisting the most powerful prelate in the United States, Cardinal Timothy Dolan, of the Archdiocese of New York.  While it terrified me to have to keep track of all the many things I would have to do on the altar, I also wanted to make a couple of photos of Dan and Chris as they were ordained.  

Could contain: Architecture, Building, Indoors, Person, Prayer, Chapel, Church

Could contain: Altar, Building, Wood, Person, Adult, Male, Man, Flooring, Hardwood, Flower Bouquet

I thought about just using my Xperia phone as it makes amazing photographs, but realized the footprint was just too large an object to hold in my hands, seated next to the Cardinal, and the whole thing was being live-streamed too.  So, I did the lightest packing of my life for an important shoot, and headed off to fly to NYC.

Could contain: Electronics, Camera, Digital Camera, Video Camera

During the Mass, I was able to bring the Sony RX0II out of my pocket at various times, and make photographs of Dan and Chris as their hands were anointed and when the Cardinal imposed his hands on their heads during the Rite of Ordination.  I could have never gotten away with this with a normal camera or even a phone as it would have called too much attention to me and not where the attention should have been.

Could contain: Photography, Person, Portrait, Finger, Cross, Adult, Bride, Female, Woman, Bishop

Could contain: Person, Priest, Bishop, Adult, Male, Man, Glasses, Face, Head, Baby

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Priest, Face, Prayer, Accessories, Glasses, Bishop

The Sony RX0II, though tiny, packs a powerful punch with its large 1" sensor and fixed 24mm lens.  I had no time to control exposure so I trusted the camera to choose for me and it worked out great.  When working in sacred space as in churches, cathedrals, mosques, synagogues, and cemeteries, it's so important not to draw the attention of the people away from the actions up front and the RX0II gave me this possibility yesterday, and for that I am very thankful.

Could contain: Flower, Flower Arrangement, Flower Bouquet, Adult, Male, Man, Person, Altar, Prayer, Suit

Could contain: Building, Altar, Prayer, Person, Adult, Bride, Female, Woman, Indoors, Suit

Could contain: Person, Priest, Bishop, Adult, Male, Man, Face, Candle, Accessories, Glasses

Last, I've photographed many priestly ordinations in the past and even shot four episcopal ordinations (when bishops are ordained), but I have never seen images like the ones I was able to get yesterday from any ordination in the past.  I feel like I broke some new ground with being that close to these most intimate of moments in the rite.  I'm also happy that I was able to give these photos to Fr. Dan and Fr. Chris and to their families...

Could contain: Architecture, Building, Person, Prayer, Altar, Church, People, Indoors, Formal Wear, Suit

Products Used

• Like 1

• Solution

Great stuff! This camera is often overlooked but has so many incredible uses. This is a great example of many of it's strengths. I'd be hard pressed to think of another tool to get those "in the huddle" shots. 

• Like 1