RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

My first shootings with A7R4 and autofocus settings

Carlos Martinez

Hi All,

First of all, I am new in here and glad to be part of this community. I just got into Sony Alpha camera few days back after getting my A7R4. I am amateur and coming from a Canon 7D that has been without use last years.

On Sunday I did my first trial and decided to go to zoo for an ease of finding "wildlife".

After reading and reading the manual of the camera I thought I was more or less ready for it.... quite naive from my side :D.

What I discover is the lack of eye detection in some animals. Worked well for big animals but in birds I was not able to catch up that eye focus point. Tried several things that I can´t even remember, so just checking if this is normal or if some of you achieve that eye focus on birds and small animals.

As one of my photos and actually my fav of the visit is actual a wild sparrow that came close by when photographing turtles.

Could contain: Animal, Bird, Finch, Sparrow, Anthus

Edited by Carlos Martinez

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not a wildlife shooter, but from the way you have asked your question, I wonder if you have the right AF setting? There are three modes of eye AF. One is for humans, one is for animals and one is for birds. The animals setting won't work well, if at all, for birds. Were you in the animal setting?

On 7/3/2024 at 9:37 AM, Darren M said:

I'm not a wildlife shooter, but from the way you have asked your question, I wonder if you have the right AF setting? There are three modes of eye AF. One is for humans, one is for animals and one is for birds. The animals setting won't work well, if at all, for birds. Were you in the animal setting?

I am with you that my AF was not set properly. In the camera I can only select Human or Animal eye AF, no possibility to select bird. 

Here the settings used:

AF-C, Focus area: flexible spot, Face/eye priority in AF: ON, Subject detection: Animal, AF tracking sensibility: 5 (responsive)