RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Question for Melissa

Hi etgar! I've developed relationships across a number of local conservation and nature-oriented organizations here In Ithaca, NY. I would say the most fruitful one has been with the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, which is located about 20 minutes from me. I worked there years ago (though on elephants, not birds!), and then again when they hired me to teach an online bird photography course. I have come to know a lot of scientists that work there. I try to keep up with at least some of the projects the Lab is working on. I also keep abreast of what's going on in the birding community here by subscribing to the local birding mailing list. So I am able to kind of keep my finger on the pulse of what's going on locally as well as beyond, through that connection. I'm fortunate to be able to connect readily with people there if I have a story pitch, or want more info about something I want to dive into. 

It's a great time to be reaching out to scientists to help visually tell the story of their work--as I think many scientists now are realizing that they need a bridge to the public, and images can provide that. There's been such a gap between public understanding and scientific knowledge. As photographers we can translate their work into something people can readily understand, no matter what language they speak. 

Also, for years I've volunteered my time at a local wildlife hospital, visiting about once a week to help tell the story of their wild patients. I make my photos available to the hospital for fundraising and educational purposes. In return I get so much--learning about issues important to me, such as what are the things we humans do in our daily lives that injure, sicken, and kill wildlife--and how do we ameliorate that! And of course, adding to my catalog. I photograph animals both at the hospital--and, if everything works out--at their release back into the wild. And I am able to license some of these images to publications. 

Sometimes volunteering for researchers or nonprofits in your area is the quickest way in. Find someone working on a conservation project in your community that interests you. Contact that person or organization. Ask if you can tag along and take pics, and you will offer the images to them for their use. Again, it' s about building relationships and showing that you are interested, and willing to do the work and to make it count.

I hope that is helpful. Thanks a lot for your question! 

• Like 1

• Trending Content

• Featured Products

• Topics