RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

That is a great question. A couple years ago I wrote an article for BBC Wildlife magazine, examining the question of why there weren't more woman wildlife photographers at the professional level . If people are interested they can see it here.

Much of the article, as I read it now, still rings true, but what's different is that even just in the last couple of years, I think there’s been a sea change. I feel that women are rapidly being better represented in the field of conservation storytelling. At least from where I sit, though that may be partly due to the fact that I know so many women in the field, and so it seems they should be as visible to everyone as they are to me! I think the need for parity has really bubbled up to the surface, and I do think many photo editors, for instance, now actively seek out female conservation photographers. I think it's finally become plain that women can do the job at least as well as men. But there is still a lot of work to be done to level the playing field.

As women photographers, we can always do whatever we can to lift other women photographers up--if we can't do a job, for instance--suggest another woman you know! There are so many ways we can help elevate each other. 

I will say if we are moms at home, it’s a bit tougher, at least to go on the road for assignments or workshop-leading. I have one child, a daughter who’s just about to head to college, and I made a promise to her when I started ramping up as a photographer about 10 years ago, that I would never be gone longer than 2 weeks from home. I kept that promise. But it definitely kept me out of the running for the longer periods of time needed to tell in-depth stories. There’s no getting around the fact that as mothers, we feel more ambivalent about leaving home for periods of time than fathers. (I hope I don’t offend any fathers by making that generalization—it’s simply how we’re biologically wired!)

If you are a mother and travel is not an option, it will of course become even more important to find opportunities locally to tell conservation stories. But you can do it. 

I have wanted very much to try to show younger women that it is possible to make your own way in this profession—having a family while also pursuing your passion. I would never say it’s easy-- it’s a very difficult balancing act and you have to have a supportive family, the ability to say no to a fair amount, and the grace to accept that you’re not as free an agent as some, and be ok with that.  

What can give you a leg up (and not just as a woman, but for anyone), is to diversify as best you can. As well as honing your photography craft, strive to be good at writing, speaking, teaching, selling your work as art, and marketing yourself. Try every avenue you can think of in pursuit of your goal. You are limited only by your imagination. 

Hope that helps!

Edited by Melissa Groo
  • Like 1

• Trending Content

• Featured Products

• Topics