RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

What should I know about these Mics: ECM-W3 and ECM-S1.

Rodolfho Chona

These are mic systems with specific differences.

The W3 is a simplified lavalier microphone designed to record voice from chest level. It comes in a case that doubles as a charger. It automatically pairs and connects fluidly to most Alpha cameras, meaning no cable. A lapel mic can be connected to the transmitter if you want to hide the mic behind a collar or tie. The sound quality is very good. I have used it from a distance of 30 feet with no problems. 

The S1 is a whole different animal. This mic will most likely be used in the shot. It can be plugged directly into the USB input on a computer and uses a direct receiver connected through the hot shoe on an Alpha camera. The S1 has three different patterns: Cardoid, Omni, and Stereo. Stereo recordings of live music heard through headphones have great presence, separation, and spatial integrity. I am unsure why it would need to be connected 30 feet away, but it could.

Sony says the mics will transmit further than 30 feet away, but I have not encountered a situation where I needed to test that. I suspect that line-of-sight and conflicting RF would alter how far the transmitter can be placed.

Both these systems are made with the usual Sony ergonomics and quality. Best of all, they work fluidly with Sony Alpha Cameras.

• 2 weeks later...